1st time taking team bball pictures

lucas_rogers

<p>Alright folks I am in some desperate need of some help. I have recently started my own business and was asked to take some team pictures for a 5th grade basketball team. I went there today to do some test shots before the appt on Thursday and lets just say I am not happy with my test shots. I could not get the right lighting as either my subject would be too bright and my background would be dark or vice versa. Also they want the hoop to be part of the background but I know that 5th grade girls are not tall, so there will be a lot of wasted space between the girl and the hoop.<br>

Anyway I had my settings at iso 400 with a shutter speed of 60 and aperture at 5.6<br>

I did some research before posting and saw that I probably need to crank my iso up to 800 but I was wondering if there were any other tips you folks would like to share. I am using a Canon 40d with 28-135mm lens.</p>

<p>Now I was also told by the lady in charge that if I did not like the requested hoop in the background(gym also has white/grey walls with a grey mat) that I could do whatever I thought looked good. I did a birdseye view test shot with my subject holding the basketball under there arm and I liked it much better than the traditional girl on knee with basketball on the floor by them. Would you suggest staying with that or my birdseye view picture?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance for any help<br>

Lucas</p>

<p>Share the examples so people have something to give more advice on. I haven't shot a real team picture yet but I would think you need a flash off camera (to prevent red-eye) and F8 and SS at least at 1/100 for 5th graders who have trouble standing still in a group photo. When I coached 7th graders it was hard to even get THEM to stay still for the photographer.</p>

<p>You don't say what equipment you have, but you will need to use flash for sure in a gym. For this shot I had one flash on either side using a reflecting umbrella, and one flash bare pointed at the rim. I backed out a ways so I could get the reflection in the floor and the goal as well. Cropping to 8x10 will still leave plenty of both if that is what is ordered.</p><div>00VYOB-212071584.JPG.27d2ccede396192be0f0da815100ab18.JPG</div>

<p>If you want the rim in the individual shots, it is a little trickier but doable, you just have to shoot a little lower and bring them both into the shot. This is a 7th grader so she wasn't too short, but you could have them stand on a box or step stool and just shoot waist-up to help bring the shot together.</p><div>00VYOL-212073684.JPG.8a17e117b992a5ff03679650e9faee4c.JPG</div>

<p>Thanks everyone!<br>

For lighting I have a set Square perfect sp-160 lights. I had them setup on both sides of my subject(this case my father). I added pictures so you could see my horrible work. I do have 2 other really cheap lights but I am thinking I could use those as just fill lights on the wall and hoop and not have them linked up to the camera.</p>

<p>**UPDATE** Can't upload pictures. Files too large. Will upload later today after I do some more testing</p>

<p>you can use perspectives too, just have everyone step up a bit and the basket should look lower now</p>

<p>but yeah, in a gym ur gonna HAVE to use strobes, reflect (not shoot-through) umbrellas are best for groups imo</p>

<p>i really really love nathan's image, but it seems a little crooked</p>

<p>if you get an image as amazing as his though, you're gonna get a lot of other teams asking for your service :)</p>

<p>Wow, thanks for the feedback! You could also have them at the other end of the court and that would make the backboard much smaller/lower, if you want it in the shot. The lighting setup would still bring it out and leave the rest of the gym dark. I used Vivitar 285hv's and cybersyncs so distance would not be an issue for such a shot.</p>