1L of Phenidone

Discussion in 'Film and Processing' started by oskar_romeo, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Since the only available way to get Phenidone near me (without import issues) is buying 1 litter bottles it seems to be way too much developer so I need to know a few things:

Will it last a some years before expiring?
    How should I store it once and everytime I get a portion out of it in order not to get it damaged by oxygen or other agents? Should I place marbles inside the bottle to top it not allowing air inside?
    All comments are wellcome!!

tcdp

2. What sort of "phenidone" are you buying?

The pure chemical is a white crystalline solid with a melting point of 121ยบC-so not something that you'll likely encounter as a liquid unless you intentionally make it that way.

If it's a solid, keep it cool and minimize its exposure to air-it should keep a while.

I wouldn't want to buy it as a solution, but if you do again minimize its exposure to air. I'd be concerned about its shelf life.

4. Thanks for the answer. I think this store is selling 'POTA developer' which is Pehenidone base developer, so it's really not phenidone!!
    I was also suspicious

Thank you!!

5. Most likely it's Phenidone-3. It'll last decades without any particular care. It turns slightly pink with oxidation, but if used in a superadditive combination with hydroquinone or sodium ascorbate, that slight oxidation makes no difference to the developing action.

A Kg of phenidone will most likely outlive its owner!

6. P.S.
    POTA contains 1.5 gm/litre of phenidone, and while I doubt that POTA itself is of much use as a general purpose developer, it could be turned into 3 litres of a phenidone-ascorbate substitute for D-76.

I have a suitable formula somewhere, if you're interested.

7. Some time ago when working with Minox negatives, there was a bit about phenidone in an alcohol solution. The required amount was drawn out as needed. You might research this approach to your needs. Bill

8. Thank you, but it's a bit difficult obtaining Phenidone in my country. Thanks anyway

9. Are you from Georgia, by any chance? :rolleyes:

10. - If you can get POTA, then you can get Phenidone. Just in solution.

As I said, one litre of POTA contains 1.5gm of Phenidone, which is sufficient for 3 litres of a PQ or Phenidone-Ascorbate substitute for D-76.

The only other chemical in POTA, is sodium sulphite, which is used in almost every other developer formula ever invented.