1Ds III confirmed by Canon USA

eos 10 fan

Chris,

No matter how much quality you stuff into the 35mm format, I still don't see it as a replacement for medium format. Sure, effectively it is and probably will be for many, pro or otherwise. However, one of the main reasons I shoot medium format is for the feel and the process of doing so; not only for technical specs. The big viewfinder and slower speed are all things I enjoy from medium format stuff. They cause me to shoot differently, plain and simple. Another big deal is the aspect ratio. Shooting to crop is just a totally different feel than shooting 1:1 format in camera. Would be nice if the native aspect ratio of the Canon was 1:1, and we could choose the digital equivalent of "masks" to shoot in other aspect ratios. Then I would probably get rid of a lot of my film stuff and try to get one of these babies.

Keith

<P>Keith, do you know what size and weight a medium format lens would have to be to get an equivalent FOV to my 600mm f4L IS?<br>

I don't think I'd want to carry it all day!

Different horses for different courses.</P>

<P>21mp and 5fps now turn this into a very useable wildlife camera. 3fps on the 1DS MKII is just not quite enough, and 10mp on the 1D MKIII doesn't allow for much cropping.<br>

I think I may be entering into a "kit consolidation exercise" to fund this one, that is once a few people have tried the AF system out first!</P>

Keith, I know where you are coming from, I`ve toyed the idea of MF digital backs, and I know till now P1 produces better DR and IQ than the 1Ds2. had Hassy for 30yr hard habit to shake, but b ut ah well see results 1st. I only got film dev now all else gone:(

This is almost the camera I was waiting for. I was hoping one day for a 24 megapixel for my 16x20s full rez. But I'm sure this new camera would be fine for that. It will most likely be over $10,000 here in Canada, even with our high dollar. Not something I'm likely to get anytime soon. Its ok because I still love using my Pentax 67 and 645, so I will survive.

What Bill said... LOL! ;)

The 5DMk2 is very late to the party, just like the (yawn) 40D is late--it took Canon 3 years to upgrade the 20D. Of course on spec the 40D looks awesome and blows away the 10D I still own; but, the 40D is just a slightly better dReb/400D for 2X price.

So, considering this 3 year upgrade cycle expect the 5DMk2 next June.