1Ds and Ec-R screen

alan_bessler

<p>The help in manual focusing is almost nil, perhaps half a stop brighter, so IMO no, it is not worth it. Besides, aren't there measuring issues with that screen on a 1Ds?<br>

If your correction is beyond the correction offered by a built-in diopter, consider a custom diopter made for the viewfinder (which I do for all my cameras.) Live View (with 5x and 10x magnification) also helps, but it requires a different camera of course.</p>

<p>I don't have my 1 N RS with me for comparisons, Ec-R is standard on that camera, (and I haven't been using it lately with any regularity to tell you the truth:-) but I doubt that you'll get a perceptably brighter image with it on 1Ds than with the standard screen. Fast lenses OTOH do the trick.<br>

Perhaps the fans of manual focusing, and custom screens, will chime in with better advice.</p>

<p>If you want a brighter screen than the standard one and are not concerned about "bite" for manual focusing, then you may find that the Ec-N screen (standard for the EOS-3) will be preferable to the Ec-R, since it has the correct markings for the 45-point focusing system.</p>

<p>I changed the Ec-N screen on my EOS-3 for the Ec-CIII screen because I wanted better MF capability for close-up/nacro work. In my view there was a significant difference at the cost of a noticeable loss of brightness. Your needs appear to be exactly the opposite, and I think you would find that the Ec-N screen was an improvement for you – if indeed you can get hold of one.</p>

<p>Consider EC-C IV screen, similar to what your 1Ds already has but a bit better. You don't say in what respect your eyes most need help. If a larger image would help then try the Angle Finder C which will magnify the viewfinder - but make it darker.</p>

<p>Most of all a newer camera body with Live View would help, I dare say.</p>