1DMkII Shutter failure

derek_simpson

Canon inform that my 1DMkII shutter failed at 48709 shots one month

out of warranty. Just my luck or are there more of me ? One reason

for choosing the camera was its rated 200,000 shutter actuations.

What galls more than a little is that the repair (Pounds sterling

242) is "guaranteed" for six months only - giving me a strong hint

that Canon Cannot stand over the claims for their gear. The old 1D

just goes on and on - the MkII anyone else reached breaking point

yet?

Where do you live? Which Canon center told you that? It sounds strange to me. At least, I can say that Canon Irvine (USA) has always treated me very well.

Write a letter to Canon Japan if you think you are being mistreated or that their products are not working as advertised.

I belive all repairs are warrantied for a short time. They're not singling out the shutter.

I think you were just unlucky. For everyone who gets 500,000 shutter activations there will be someone who only gets 50,000.

I'd write to Canon though. Maybe they'll consider a warranty repair since it failed so early and so close to the warranty period. It does happen.

Derek,

In the US, Amex doubles the manufacturer's warranty. Many

VISA and MC's do the same. I don't know if that is so in the

UK.

I had the shutter replaced on a 10D, a couple of months back.

Canon in Irvine repaired the camera properly and promptly.

Amex reimbursed me right away.

If your purchase was made using a credit card, there's a

chance that you can get rimbursed for the repair.

Good luck.

gw.

Warranties can be somewhat flexible. Sure if a company wants to say 12 months is all you get and not a second more, they can. However some companies take a more reasonable attitude and if it appears the failure was caused by a defective part, they'll give you a little leeway. Of course you have to ask!

A 1Ds Mk II shutter failing at under 50,000 cycles sounds like a defective part that Canon might well consider replacing without charge.

>>Canon Professional Services UK.<<

I think if you wrote Canon they may (at their discretion) accomodate you for free or, at least, only charge you the nominal fee for cleaning/ckup. It doesn't hurt to try.

*If* their brochures mention a shutter longevity figure for your camera well above the 50k mark they may replace it for free, even if there's no legal obligation on their part to do as much.

As far as the repair "warranty" of 6 mos that's pretty standard. The logic is that if the NEW item is 12 mos the "repaired" item must be 1/2 as much.

That's a pricey repair though...

usually prices are the same in pounds over here as in dollars over there - this one seems even dearer by all accounts. The options on the estimate form were starkly clear - return/repair/scrap. The 200,000 actuations were and remain a major selling point in canon literature for the camera. failing at under 50,000 means the repair works out at one pound per 200 shots but more importantly means I'll never really relax with the camera on assignment again. On the good side - with digital you can see when it's *****d