1d mk3 vs 5d for image tones

bob_peters

bob - just so you know, anyone with REAL information on the expected 5D upgrade would probably be violating many laws if they just gave away that information b/c canon would have them sign many papers stating that they will not reveal that information until the embargo is over.

the best we can do is wonder aloud...

The 5D was announced in September and released mid December, it's almost October with 3 new Canon cameras already for this year so I wouldn't hold my breath. Wait for PMA is my guess, not that I can afford to replace my two 5D's should I need to (would love better AF and 14 bits for the tonality but otherwise can't see any reason to upgrade).

It is a matter of individual preference. I prefer the Mark III (and the Mark II) to the 5D. I prefer "normal" skin tones and with the 5D I often see images that look like they were shot with Velvia. The Fuji S2 did the same, but many people love the highly saturated color of the files.

When processing 5D files I have ACR decrease the RAW file saturation by 10% which helps a great deal. But first you have to get the image in the first place and this is where the Mark III will run circles around a 5D and I suspect its replacement.

Where the Mark III is the fastest focusing camera in any light of any camera presently being sold and has a 10fps capture rate, the 5D is slower than the 30D to AF and has a slower capture rate than even the 30D. If the camera cannot AF fast enough to catch the moment even in low light and with the flash providing IR assist, then it has limited value for me as a wedding camera.

I'll upgrade for 14bit but the 5D is very dependable as is and I've shot many weddings with it. Never found a need to shoot 10fps at any wedding or event. I've shot in many low light situations with the 5D and have never missed yet.