1D Mark III , ERR-01 & ERR-02

peng_kit_wong

I have just received Mark III last night, did some test shoots today.

After about 50 shuttters, I had error problems.

First it was ERR-02, [Card not formatted. Format card with this camera]

I have problems reformatting my San Disk II CF card. I tried shooting again

with Lexar and I had the same error appearing and unable to reformat the card.

The CF cards worked perfectly fine in 30D.

I swithced the camera off, removed the cards, removed the battery, did a reset

but I still have the same ERR-02. I wonder why?

Without CF card, I tried to shoot again but this time I had ERR-01

[Communications betwwen the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts]

I was using 24-70mm L 2.8, cleaned the contacts, reset the camera but the

error was still there. Fustrated, I tried attaching 20mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.4, but 

I still have the same error appearing!

I will bring the camera to Canon tomorrow.

Was wondering if any people out there have the same problems that I am facing?

I am in great dilema. After months of waiting for Mark III, I was looking

forward to use it for tomorrow's shoot,I have to send it back to Canon!

Sigh~~"

Just a thought as I`m still trying to understand this body. With this feature of foward/back focus adjuasment, I read the lens has to be registered with the camera, if the feature is on with an unregistered lens, I wonder if it would cause errors. I have not got one yet but I understand if you have for example 2 24 70 2.8L`s lenses one is ok and one BF, then the feature has to be turned on or off depending which lens is on as it only recognizes one 24 70L. or will that just throw out focus with no notice?

"I have not got one yet but I understand if you have for example 2 24 70 2.8L`s lenses one is ok and one BF, then the feature has to be turned on or off depending which lens is on as it only recognizes one 24 70L. or will that just throw out focus with no notice?"

I wondered about that. Presumably the lens 'registration' just tells the camera what adjustment to look up in it's tables. The only way it could deal with multiple lens model copies is if the lens serial number (or some other unique number) or something is readable over the EF interface, ie coded into the lens chip somewhere.

The lens adjustment feature is only available per lens model - so if you have two 24-70 f/2.8 Ls, the same adjustment will be applied to both - and only one adjustment is possible per zoom lens, so you can't correct the zoom differently at different focal lengths. It's not quite clear whether the software can distinguish between e.g. a 70-200 f/4 and f/2.8 (probable), or say a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 and a similar Canon.

Re the MIII forum http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/z/535627

There is an ongoing list of serial numbers of just released MIII cameras with Error 99 problems, focus issues, and more complaints by some apparently knowledgeable photographers. Many feel these are mechanical problems and not just Firmware. Some MIIIs have been returned for repair only after a few weeks of use - for a $4500 camera! No doubt when this camera is 100% percent it is a great instrument. But have they gone so far with features that durability is compromised? With my 20D I just went thru a back-to-back Error 99 shutter repair process with Canon, understandable I suppose after 30 months.

Is it possible that lenses are to blame? Beyond the cleanliness of the contacts, is it possible that a slight malfunctioning of lenses is kicking back real physical problems to the camera? Is there documentation of lenses damaging the cameras, or are the connections 100 percent electrical and therefore a physical affect unlikely?

I?m not sure now if I grab the next available MIII and hope I didn't get a lemon? Or wait a while, and if so, how long?