1968 Modern Photography's Top 47 Cameras

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by marc_bergman|1, Dec 31, 2018.

1. This is from the December 1968 issue of Modern Photography magazine.

This is part 1.

Top 47 P1 1 sm 2

2. A look at a camera collector from 1968.

CC 1 sm 2

3. Bennett Sherman discusses "why lens designers lose their hair at an early age".

TT 1 sm 2

4. To an old East German camera collector, the amazing thing is the inclusion of some of them in the list.

They are the Rodney Dangerfield of cameras, after all ;)

Thanks and happy new year!

Close to the end
    Exakta-1000-Elbaflex.jpg
    New, Old Stock​

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  5. Here is Popular Photography's announcement of the TTL metering (shown on the Elbaflex above)
    Exakta-update--1967-07-PP.jpg
    PP 1967-07
    "Everything's up to date in Dresden
    They've gone about as far as you can go"...

6. m42dave

m42dave Dave E.

I always enjoy the tests and ads from these later editions. It's nice to know my Soligor T4 35/2.8 performed so well in their tests!

7. A lot going on in this back issue. Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year.

8. I loved the collector's article. The guy had an impressive collection, awesome if one realizes how different things were before the Internet, even in a large city with lots of camera shops. An uncommon appreciation of Russki glass and hardware.

Several well known friends in the 47 top list. Those one-page reports are nice introductions to the features and handling.

Thanks Marc and Happy New Year!

9. Why would you choose to re-visit Photography as it was more than 50 years ago?

10. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

Possibly because a good few of us were there as adults taking photos. There are both old and new Good Times! Speaking for myself, lots of the gear I used then is still in use, working perfectly.

mikemorrell likes this.
  11. Could interest people interested in the history of photography, archeology, anthropology, cultural trands, etc. I was 16 in 1968 and a regular reader of MP, so for me, it’s nostalgia.

“What’s past is prologue.” —Shakespeare (“The Tempest”)

In contemporary use, the phrase stands for the idea that history sets the context for the present.

mikemorrell likes this.