1964 New & Used Camera Guide

I always enjoy these-thanks for posting!

The article comparing the Nikon F to the Nikorex is interesting.

There are a few things I noticed about it, though. One of those is that it cites the F as having a horizontal cloth shutter. I have a bunch of Nikon Fs, including two or three with 6.4 million serial numbers(the first SN block). It's my understanding that some VERY early Fs had cloth shutters, but all of mine have metal(stainless steel?) curtains. It most certainly would have been the case in 1961, when the article was published.

Also, the article makes a big deal out of the ability of the F to take interchangeable viewfinders, but it omits the most significant category-the coupled meter finders. In 1961, the original Photomic(external metering cell) would have been the only one available, but the first page of the article shows an F with one attached. Perhaps the author didn't consider a meter that important, and admittedly the original Photomic had its drawbacks(the Photomic T was much better, and IMO if I'm going to use a metered finder on an F the FTN is the only one I even bother with these days).

Much appreciated

The article about the Nikkorex F is interesting. It was made outside Nikon by Mamiya, where it was called the Prismat. Several other companies bought and re-badged this turkey and everyone dropped it as soon as they started getting the cameras back.

I had a version of it from Britain, called a Reflexa, and I got it to work for one roll of film, and then it literally came apart in my hands (LINK Reflexa (a rebadged Mamiya Prismat NP)).

• Like 1