1960's 35mm Slide Film Brand

I remember the 3M film as being labeled "3M", and the film speed was ASA/ISO 100. You sent the film to 3M in a postage paid mailer, and you got back mounted slides and another roll of the same type film. The price for the unexposed film was a bit higher than others, but the retail cost included processing.

I tried it a few times, but was disappointed in the color rendition, and the fact that the grain was only slightly smaller than a Titlleist golf ball. It really shifted toward green.

Dynachrome was similar in process to Kodachrome (subtractive?) If you look at the emulsion side of Kodachrome by reflected light you see an image that looks like its in relief. I think Dynachrome might exhibit that effect. During the 60's one could buy Dynachrome 25 and 64. Their slogan was "it's so good you forget it costs less."

Dynachrome?

Yup, that's it! Thanks...

I've still got many boxes and carousels loaded with those slides. They're 50+ years old and except for a handful with some fungal growth, still project bright, saturated and crisp images belying the gloom and doom predictions of those brutal 60's Kodachrome Fan Boys!

Vintage-Dynachrome-25-35mm-Color-Slide-Film-Unopened.jpg.c619593ebbce02689524a7bbe7d02faa.jpg

Seattle Works film and similar offerings were actually negative film that was motion picture stock from which positive prints for projection were made, The film's Rem Jet antifailiation coating could gum up processing machines unless removed first. Seattle and others would process the film and make a set of slides for the customer. The negatives would also be returned, usually with a fresh roll of film to keep the customer coming back. In theory, it should have worked well, but photo magazine tests usually showed such films to not perform as well as Kodak/Fuji/Agfa films. Dale Labs, though, would offer that same service from Kodacolor. FWIW,slides made from negatives can be quite good, but it was always hard to beat an original transparency.
  • Like 1

I shot some Dynachrome back in the day, because it was relatively inexpensive, but stopped when cheap processors kept getting the development wrong, and doing it as E6, with predictably bad results. It actually did come out, in a sort of washed-out way that could be considered interesting these days, but it was pretty awful. When it was processed right, it came out all right.

The only shop in my area that carried Dynachrome was the Woolco store that was about 20 miles away. Always just bought Kodak film and mailers for slides since I knew what to expect. I still have a Pocket Instamatic 40 and Empire 7x35 binoculars that came from that store. Probably a fair amount of vinyl as well.
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
For the life of me, I can't remember the brand name of the 35mm slide film I used to shoot in the late 60's and early 70's. It was a good bit less expensive than the Kodak films and it came with a mailer that included processing. I think it may have been manufactured by 3M...

I used what I believe you had. in my LEICA M-3 in the '60's. It was AGFACHROME and came with a mailer. It was an excellent film, a bit on the warm side as opposed to KODAKCHROME.