1930’s Kodak 4x5

pcassity

As far as I know, there hasn't been any 616 film made in at least 20 years if not longer. I just sold three rolls on Ebay that expired in the 70s and 80s.

As Bill says, there are ways to shoot 120 film in them.

I've shot 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 sheet film in my 116/616 folders, but more as a curiosity than as an actual practical thing. That requires loading and unloading in total darkness, and I also taped over the ruby window from inside. I keep that size sheet film on hand since I have a miniature Crown Graphic that gets used occasionally-I'd not suggest going out and buying a box just to try a folder.

Central Camera in Chicago may still be carrying the re-spooled 116 and 616 film, they no longer have a detailed website, but you can call and ask.

But don't invest in film (it will be at least $30 a roll) until you're certain the bellows are light-tight, and that the shutter is working correctly.

One cheap and quick way to check out an old camera, for which film is not available, is to use photo paper, cut to size. If you are already set up to do wet darkroom work. If you don't do darkroom work, then buying paper, chemicals, a safe light and setting up a space than can be light tight would probably be too much cost and trouble.

When I get an old camera, especially one film is no longer available for, or too expensive to buy, I use photo paper, as a negative, to check for light leaks and focus.

122 was pretty popular, Kodak kept making VP122 until 1973. 116/616 made it into the late 1970's, there's even Kodacolor II in those sizes. But 122 was a lot more expensive per exposure than 116/616. In the "roll film era," I'd say 116/616 was the most popular, as it made a reasonably large contact print. 120/620 and 127 were for the more budget-minded, and 122 was for the well-off.

The shift to enlargement printing made 116, 616, and 122 drift into obsolescence. For example, the original Kodacolor prints were all enlarged, and all from the same width spool of paper.