180mm f/2.8 ED - well worth the praise!

Ian Rance

<p>As I mentioned in my previous thread, I picked up one of these from a charity shop. I know that this lens is highly regarded and it was only after I had my roll back from the hour service that I realised HOW nice it really is.</p>

<p>The sharpness, colour and contrast are first rate - and the bokeh is smooth too! Now, I am totally new to this lens, but if anyone cares too offer some guidance on its use (what apertures are best and anything to look out for in its useage) I am always appreciative.</p>

<p>I attach a photp from my first roll - nothing thrilling, but I am pleased with the lens for sure.</p>

<div>00UAem-163427584.JPG.673062a4d885535afbcf9e3e1f0bfccb.JPG</div>

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Best aperture? For portraits I generally use it wide open or stopped down to f/4, tops. While I'm not a serious bokeh addict and normally prefer to stop down for maximum sharpness, the 180/2.8 is a charm wide open. It's almost a shame not to use it that way.</p>

<p>For details and closeups, f/8-f/11. Give it a try with an extension tube. It's a remarkably good lens for closeups. I use my pre-AI 180/2.8 with the M2 extension tube that came with my 55/3.5 Micro Nikkor, which is the only way I can use the 180/2.8 on my D2H and FM2N. Even with razor thin DOF the results are great, as long as the composition and subject matter are worthwhile.</p>

<p>The attached photo is a 1:1 crop.</p><div>00UAgx-163449584.jpg.3e9599e8780c6f28c1a98979f0b7d28f.jpg</div>

<p>This lens is a gem. I bought one used for $245 last year and it was money well-spent. There have been some threads here recently in which Nikon's pro zooms have been recommended over primes, but I haven't used a zoom yet that can compare to the 180's performance. It is just superb.</p>

<p>Yes, this is one of Nikon's very best, I have the AF-D ED-IF and use it either on my N90 or D200. I usually go from 2.8 to f8. If I use it in the studio for face shots it will be at f8. Because I used to use it in the studio, this is one lens I have warming filters and softeners for it, it works real nice with a Hoya A softener.</p>

<p>I have the (early) AF version. Many photos here taken with it</p>

<p>http://www.flickr.com/photos/80702381@N00/</p>

<p>Shoot the sucker wide open. Thats what makes the "money shots" and its what people pay for (well normally - I read your post about how little you paid, lucky devil) - the ability to separate the subject from the background and produce that creamy bokeh.</p>

<p>Check out my photo of the lady photographer shooting the clown - who is nothing more than a shmooshed out blur due to this lenses bokeh. Very impressive but be aware that this same effect can produce blobs of undefinded color in the background that can actually go over the top and be distracting. Which arguably is true in that picture but I was experimenting with the bokeh. Check out also the girls playing the violin - very nice.</p>

<p>This is one of my favorite lenses of all time (I have the AF D version). It's practical, sharp, contrasty, etc. The size makes it comparatively unnoticeable. The light weight means you can carry it all day without noticing it.</p>

<p>Wide open there is a bit of CA type thing, stop it down a bit (f/3.5) if you want a perfect image (I don't hesitate using it wide open but it can do better stopped down). I think the useable aperture range is quite wide; f/2.8 to f/11.</p>

<p>The only drawback to this lens as far as I am concerned is the fact that it is a little finicky to manual focus and of course it would be nice to have AF-S. I even own the 200/2 yet I use the 180 much more than that. Not because the 180 is better - it isn't, but because it's practical and only very subtly inferior optically.</p>

<p>I've been thinking about getting myself a copy of the 180, but I'm not sure whether to go for a new(ish) AF-D version or settle for an older AF version, which lacks the distance feature (not to mention is necessarily a bit older in terms of physical age). Does anyone miss the 3D matrix metering with the non-D versions, or is that a complete afterthought? </p>

<p>Thank you all for your thoughts.</p>

<p>Josh - mine is the manual focus Ai-S version.</p>

<p>Lex, that looks wicked sharp. I still need to get a ring for my 55mm Micro - and when I do I will be sure to try it on the 180.<br>

Peter - thank you for the link. Glad you like your 180 too!<br>

Illka - I hear that the 200mm f/2 is something special, so that the 180mm is in the same league says something does'nt it?</p>

<p>Ian</p>

<p>Just adding my applause to those of the others for your purchase of this lens Ian. It is an absolute beauty. And in terms of aperture it is wonderful wide open and up to about f/4. I'm basing this on the AF-D but I think the optical formula has been very similar throughout the history of this great lens.</p>

<p>I have the 180/2.8 ED-IF AF (non-D) and it is better wide open than my 80-200/2.8 AFS (and my former 80-200/2.8 AF-D), but by f/4 or so they are essentially equal in sharpness, with contrast going to the 180/2.8.<br>

I also tried a 180/2.8 ED AIS, it too was sharper wide open, but had some PF wide open that the 180/2.8 ED-IF does not. I found both the 180/2.8 ED AIS and ED-IF versions OK wide open (a bit soft at 100% on my D300) and reach excellence by f/5.6 (f/4 is still a tad soft).<br>

Nice light lens to use though.<br>

- John</p>

<p>I agree - it is an outstanding lens. I sold my Nikon gear for Leica in 1984 and replaced the 180 f2.8ED with the Leica 180f3.4 Apo Telyt, which is a legendary lens. Although the Leica was astonishing (i.e. better) in terms of contrast and sharpness at infinity, it's close-focusing ability (and sharpness at closer distances) was not as good as the Nikon's - and this mattered when shooting birds etc. Overall, it was the only Nikkor I've had (28f2, 55f2.8micro, 105f2.5, 180f2.8ED, 80-200f4.5, 500f8) which was the equal of the Leica lenses. That's not a put-down of the Nikkors, just loud applause for the 180f2.8ED.<br>

Ian</p>

<p>Hi Ian</p>

<p>I sold my AIS 200mm f4 telephoto (a great lens in its own right) to help purchase an 180mm 2.8 AIS in near mint condition from South Korea in May this year. What surprised me was that instead of a behemoth fast lens that people say over and over again on the net is too heavy or bulky, I got a superbly balanced and easy to handle lens that is a dream to use. It balances perfectly on my FM3a. People also say that it is not as sharp as the AF version close up. Well if that is that is the case, tha AF version must be some lens because close up, (at minimum ordinary distance) this lens delivers. It also blurs the background well wide open too. I would recommend the use of a warming filter - this might be a matter of personal taste however. I also have the PN-11 extension tube and can't wait to use it with the 180mm and a tripod. John Shaw (Close ups in Nature) used a 180mm for macro work too.<br>

Enjoy!</p>

<p>Mark</p>