16,717,257 shutter actuations on D200!

rafael_s

<p>Never heard of this happening to a DSLR before and thought I would post here and see if someone could help me out. My Nikon D200 was at a little over 16,000 shutter actuations. Recently the software (exif viewer on mac) was stating that the camera is at 16,717,257. I thought the software may have been at fault but I checked on several other computers and also on a windows machine in ACDsee and it records at 16+ million. Has anyone else ever experienced this? I emailed Nikon and they wrote me back and said none of their technicians had ever encountered this problem, that it could possibly be fixed with a firmware upgrade, but I did the latest upgrade (2.01) and it's still showing up. <br /> </p>

<p>I'd be afraid that someday you'll send your camera into service and they'll refuse to service it on the basis of the shutter needing replacement or something. I would complain to Nikon, sending them the last raw image prior to the problem and the first one with the problem (or as close as you can get) hopefully showing that the two are not separated by much time and therefore the number of actuations are bogus.</p>

<p>I'd get it on record now. Maybe they can set it back. That way at least if you end up sending it in 10 years from now there will be evidence that your shutter is not in fact worn out from heavy pro use. Maybe I'm being paranoid -- I've never dealt with Nikon for service.</p>

<p>I've been wanting to sell this camera in a few months and upgrade to a D300 but who is going to believe the actual shutter count? Maybe I can win a prize for the highest shutter count in the D200 category (which is rated at a life of somewhere like 250,000, but hey my camera has 66 times that!) Hey Nikon, put me on an ad or one of your commercials!</p>

<p>I have no idea how it happened. D200 has been well taken care of. Never been through an airport with it, never dropped, or had water on it. Only problem I've had is that some of the gripping under the front control dial was peeling off but that's common with these models. Nikon support said I should upgrade firmware to fix it. I was at firmware 2.0 and so I updated to 2.01, but problem still remained. Should I downgrade firmware back to 2.0 and try again? Is it even possible to downgrade firmware?</p>

<p>You cannot downgrade the firmware yourself.</p>

<p>If you intend to sell your camera and are concerned that the extremely high shutter actuation count may turn off buyers, try to get in touch with Nikon to get that reset. Whether they are willing to perform that change or not is another issue. I realize that none of this is your falut and this is very annoying.</p>

<p>I was able to track down the images when this happened. It was while shooting at a basketball game between shots when the shutter count jumped from 14,275 to 16M . Doesn't really explain anything except for when it occured. This is crazy. I've been trying to contact Nikon about it and have spoken and emailed several people but they are clueless. I may just keep the camera, maybe I'll hit 17 million.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>Did you ever get more information? I just received a used D300 and when I opened up an image to verify the shutter count, imagine my surprise when Opanda reported 2005538816 actuations! Seller claimed it was lightly used (is over 2 billion photos grounds for bad feedback?). I've also noticed that from one picture to the next it does not increment by 1 but some seemingly random amount...</p>

<p>Nikon could not give me any sort of response and they wanted me to send it in but I instead went to a certified Nikon service repair facility near where I live and they were not able to figure it out either. They said everything appeared to be normal so I went ahead and paid to have the grips replaced and sensor cleaned. Besides that annoying glitch the camera performs flawlessly so I will just leave it as it is and just keep it. With cameras now depending more and more on electronics there's no telling what can happen.</p>

• 1 month later...

<blockquote>

<p>I have just checked the actuations on my D200 and find I have 89,178. How many can I realistically expect to achieve from the shutter, any suggestions? Regards</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Mike, nobody knows. Your D200 may fail next time you try to use it or it can last another 150K actuations. I could have told you the exact same thing the day that same camera rolled out of the factory, although it is more likely to fail sooner now.<br>

<a href="file://\\Filer\cpbuild\vzw_mtas\1.2.3\02132010-vzw_mtas-12"></a></p>