16-35 flare

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by edward_h, Apr 21, 2005.

1. For those of you who are interested in this glass' flare characteristics: I was out night photographing tonight because I was bored and ended up unknowingly testing the 16-35 for flare. I do have a B+W uv-filter on it, but a separate test shows exactly no difference between a naked lens and uv-filtered lens so don't jump on my back unnecessarily; the uv-filter makes _no_ difference, I've checked. Now regarding the flare: I shot straight into several light sources. I expected some flare. I haven't yet used any glass that is completely flare free when shot into a light source. What surprized me was the sheer amount of flare. It's everywhere! As much as I like/love the 16-35, it's not going to be my night photography glass I don't think. Too susceptible to flare and I shoot cityscapes a lot. Inside, sure, there isn't any problem. During daytime there isn't any flare problem with it either, but it's during night photography that the 16-35 becames close to unusable. As a comparison, my 24-70 rarely, rarely flares.
    00BvdZ-23009584.jpg

2. Yup. In your earlier thread on the same lens, another poster wrote: > And I thought to myself... 'hmmm, I wonder if this fellow would trade with me.' Indeed my copy is a pretty flare prone lens. I try to make an asset of it whenever possible.
    00BvjC-23013084.jpg

3. Of course, whether I'm succeeding in making an asset of the flare... that's another story.

4. Wow, Scott, that is a LOT of flare. Do the Canon wide angle primes flare (like the 14mm-L and the 20mm)? If they don't, perhaps toting them along is the only way to get those focal lengths when shooting into light sources.

5. I would expect any lens to flare in this situation (can you show us some comparisons Edward) - and as the light source(s) in each picture is within the frame how exactly will any lenshood help?

6. > I would expect any lens to flare in this situation (can you show us some comparisons Edward) Here one... not exactly the same shot but there are a lot of bright lights in the frame and flare is almost nonexistent. I say almost because there IS some flare, but it's so close to the light it gets caught up in the light's halo and can be ignored.
    00Bvth-23017384.jpg

7. Thanks Edward but those light sources look much less intense than in your 16-35 shot