135mm f2.8 Elmarit-R opinions

bob_peters

I'm thinking of getting a 135mm lens for my 5D but don't want to spend the cash

for the 135mm f2L, by most accounts the best 135mm lens ever made. How does the

Elmarit-R stack up? How good is it wide open? Anyone using it on a 5D care to

comment on how it fares compared to the 70-200m f2.8L?

Bob, I have the last version of the 135 M, which I believe has the same optical formula as the 135 R. I use it side-by-side with my 90AA M for portraiture. At medium apertures, the results in the center seem to have lower contrast than the 90AA but the resolution is fine for all practical purposes and the results are very pleasingly drawn.

I never use it wide open and can't compare it with the L glass, but for my purposes it gives the results I expect from pre-ashpheric Leica optics.

I love it. It has a very natural rendering of skin (at least in B&W -- where I work) usually at

f4,0. But then, I'm a fan of the pre-ASPH lenses for portraits especially the 80 Summilux. It's

surprisingly heavy but a good one is a pleasure to use. I recently acquired an 70-180 APO

but haven't done a strict comparison. But then, the price ratio is 1:10.

Bob,

Take a look at the Canon EF 135mm f/2.8 SF (Soft Focus) AutoFocus Telephoto Lens at around $280 new. The soft focus is just a nice added feature and with it off the lens has the reputation of being very sharp even wide open. I have the 135 Elmarit-R and it is an excellent lens on the R system cameras. If you are a tinkerer who likes to fiddle with things then the Leica R lenses are okay to use in manual stop-down mode with an adapter for the EOS cameras. To me it is a little like the guy who uses the wheelbarrow with the wheel off the ground. It'll work but its pretty awkward. I much prefer the versatility of the excellent 70-200mm 4.0 L lens which is quite reasonably priced. The only R lens I like to use regularly on my DSLR is the 28mm Elmarit-R. Good luck.

I agree that the 135mm Elmarit should be useable on a 5D. I use the 180mm and 80 in particular on the Rebel XTi and they work very well. The Elmarit is a very nice lens for portraits and stopped down has good performance, but not up to the standard of say the APO 180mm's or for that matter the 135mm Apo-Telyt M which I suspect resolution-wise is actually the "best 135mm" not the f2L Canon (as nice as that is...).
Robin Smith

I have both the M & R versions & have used the eos 100mm & other cannon lenses, though not much anymore. I use the 135 some wide open for stage work when I can get away w/ f2.8 - sharpness is vgood but not apo (a 90AA or 180apo is noticeably sharper) but the color redition is great. But I use these on the Leica's they were built for & other lenses w/ adapters that I have used end up being a bit of a pain. You have to decide exactly what you want it for, it would be nice for a longish portrate lense but an EOS 70-200L or a 100 or 135 2.8 would make a better general purpose lense. Like is said many times here you can buy it & try it & resell it if you don't like it. I paid $300 for a mint 135 Elmarit-R several years ago, but they may be cheaper now. Best wishes, Jim.