135MM F2.0 L lens. What happened to them?

darryl_klein

<p>I've searched everywhere and cannot find one. All big online houses are backordering them. Called Canon and they were no help except to tell me it was released in 1996. Anyone heard about discontinuing, production problems, or maybe an IS version replacing it? </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>The simple answer is that Canon appears to have cut production/supplies of their most popular glass. It is not just the 135 that is understocked; the 24-70, 24-105, 50/1.4, 50 compact macro, 85/1.8, etc. all have had stock issues</p>

<p>Hmm, around here (in Finland) they seem to be reasonably well available. By looking at a couple of online stores I've used I got the following statistics:<br>

- The first (and largest) has a few copies directly available at their various stores, plus one more in stock.<br>

- Second store didn't have availability information<br>

- Third one gives an approximate delivery time of 2-5 days</p>

<p>You can order one through amazon, although it will be fulfilled by one of their "marketplace" sellers -- Ace Photo Digital. $1040 today, up from the $900 it was not long ago.</p>

<p>The 200mm f/2.8, 24-70, and 24-105 are also available on amazon, fulfilled by adorama.</p>

<p>On the other hand, no 35/2 on amazon.</p>

<p>Looks like Adorma is out also. Guess Ill just wait Im not in a huge hurry either. </p>

<p>Thank you for placing an order with Adorama. <br /> We regret to inform you that the following item(s) is currently on backorder<br /> <br /> from the manufacturer, and we are unable to ship immediately. <br /> Item Number: CA1352AF - CANON EF 135 2.0-L USM U.S.A <br /> Our experience has shown that most backorders are shipped out within 10-14 days. <br /> We will update you immediately should there be a change. <br /> Please note, your credit card will not get charged until we ship. <br /> Please accept our apology for this. like Adorama is out</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It seems the camera companies in Japan are playing it close these days. I have been waiting about 2 months for a Canon focusing screen I ordered from B&H. No problem, it's just an option for me to use with manual focusing. Constantly reading about the out of stock status of many lenses and seeing that on this screen strikes me as quite different than a few years ago. Just manufacturers cutting back on production I suppose.</p>

<p>You will indeed love the 135L. I never really used mine until fairly recently. When I go out of medium format I bought a bunch of lenses all at once building the dslr system and never really got to trying all of the lenses. The 135L is a winner, great portraits wide open are a treat. </p>

<p>I would go with Amazon- avoid Adorama. I bought an L lens from them last year, and when it was received, the auto AND manual focus did not work on the lens. Very "abrupt" salesman on the phone, when I called to voice my complaint his attitude was rather cavalier.</p>