press shutter for 24 bucks. It is off a polaroid copy camera. I am

more interested in the shutter than the lens really(for a 150 G-

Claron transplant), but then I don't know a darn thing about the

ysaron, so I thought I'd ask the experts here for advice---is there

anything to commend the Ysaron over, say the 127 Ektar? Will it

cover 5x7 with movements? 4x5 with movement? Is it true they are

radio-active? Is it worth(gulp)24 bucks? Thanks for any and all

advise.

Hi John. The little 127 will cover 4X5 with 10 or 12mm left for movements. Certainly won't cover 5X7. A good 127 Ektar is pretty hard to beat. Many of the luminized ones can seperate 80 line pairs right in the middle. The Ysaron is just as sharp "right in the middle" The trouble with Tessars is they degrade too quicly once you leave the sweet spot. For a 127 on a 4X5 that's over 50% of your neg with the corners being downright awful.

I haven't had any problems with coverage for 4X5 although I do mostly landscape so movements are modest. It is my first LF lens so I can only compare it to my Yashicamat. It is just as sharp with the benefit of a much larger negitive. As for the shutter, I am a big fan of the Prontor press shutter. It is nice not having to worry about cocking the shutter.

I shot with one for several years. It's sharp straight on, good contrast, and has surprising room for movements, which the 127 Ektar doesn't. It seemed to be a little funky in the corners when swung, but for basic shift/rise it was fine. It's also very nice up close.

For 5x7, you should probably be looking at the 135mm WF Ektar, if you want something smaller/lighter than modern glass.

The 127mm Ysaron is a great little lens, usually for very little money. I have 2, one in a Protor Press and one in a Synchro Compur. You'll get more movements with the Ysaron than the Ektar, but forget about 5X7 unless you're using it as a macro (even then, I'm not too sure). I also have the Ektar and I think that the Ysaron is sharper. IIRC, somewhere in the rear group, the Ysaron has a rare earth element in the glass, but don't worry, you won't glow in the dark. It's worth more than the 24 bucks you paid!