120 film unloading woes - portra vs fuji films .

sanjay_chaudary

Hi,

I have a Pentax 67ii and am having trouble after unloading film. I use fuji films primarily. The fuji films come with a self adhesive strip that I fold the exposed film under and close .

With the portra, there seems to be no adhesive strip and after unloading , I used an elastic band to secure the film, after folding the strip under.

Am I doing something wrong?

As said, lick it.

That's how it was done on roll films for ~100 years until Fuji figured out the EZ-Peel or whatever it's called sometime in the 90s(I have some 1997 ex. Velvia that's lick and stick also). The peel and stick thing is unique to Fuji.

It can get you some funny looks out in public, but like I said that's how it's done.

I've had the same problem with many of the newer films. Like you, rubber bands have been used, but these days I just carry a small dispenser of tape in the camera bag. When living in Hawaii with it's tropical climate I find many of the "lick it" tapes pop off within an hour, hence the tape.Bill Edited by Bill Bowes

I have seen exposed rolls of 120 on eBay, labeled unused.

It seems that when sealed well enough, they look factory sealed.

I suppose I never used Fuji 120, I didn't know about other than licking.

Funny that they would say unused when the tab pretty prominently says "exposed" :) . That's not by accident either.

I've shot a ton of Fuji transparency film, although admittedly no films in 120 other than that. They have done a couple of nice little things to make life with roll film easier. Fuji spools have a small hook molded into the center hole of the spindle, and a corresponding hole punched into the narrow part of the leader. With Kodak/Ilford, I've always held the leader in the slot while I made the first turn on the take-up spool to make sure that it catches. I even do this on a Rolleiflex. With Fuji films, I still WATCH the first turn, but it always catches. I'm not bothered by having to lick the tab, but the peel and stick tabs on Fuji are handy.

I do have to say that MF is obscure enough out in the "real world"(and even among a lot of photographers these days) that sometimes the whole process-especially licking the tab-can get some funny looks. At the same time, it's lead to some interesting conversations with people. I was at a wedding probably 7 or 8 years ago where a decently well known(as in he's a 3rd generation pro whose family has had a studio for probably 100 years) local photographer was using a Hasselblad. Someone saw him licking a tab at the end of a roll and wondered what on earth he was doing-that was an interesting conversation.

One thing for sure-you're leaving DNA on the tab so if someone wanted to make a case there's no disputing the rightful owner of the roll :)

There is a difference in taste! I mostly use Fuji now, so no need to lick but I remember one of there other film brands has a minty taste.

Kodak seems to have a taste similar to US stamps-or at least from back in the self adhesive days(I think lick stamps are mostly still around in odd denominations, and Forever stamps seem to have killed the demand for those). It's a different taste from the glue that they use on most envelopes-a tad bit sweet rather than bitter.

I don't recall anything standing out about Ilford.

I don't so much remember the taste, but the smell.

When unrolling it (in the dark) or taking the backing paper out of the changing bag, there is a pretty unique smell.

Not a bad smell, but when I recently did some 120 film, after many years of only 35mm, I did still remember it.

-- glen

Maybe we should start a thread on your favorite 120 film based on taste and smell.

I was a heavy Kodak Tri-X user in my younger days, it's funny what triggers those memories.

"Manfred, there is a design problem with that camera...every time you drop it that pin breaks"