120 Film Question

Hello :)

I am new to 120 photography and the other day I got a 120 camera and some film, and had no idea how to use it so I stupidly tried it on my own, and ended up dismantling a whole roll. After an hour, I got it back together however I heard touching it fogs it, so im not so sure if I should keep it or throw it out (and I put the backing paper back on backwards, on top of everything else.)

For reference, it wasnt a really sunny day however I want to go use the camera tomorrow and would rather not even use that roll if its not going to develop good.

Brian

Brian, look on the web for a manual for your camera--it will have instructions on loading the film. Follow the instructions carefully! Once you have learned how to do it properly on your camera, it will be easy to figure it out for other cameras. You're going to LOVE those big negatives! Have fun! --ken

Haha, sorry, I had to laugh at this!!!

Do you know how film works? It's sensitive to light of course. The camera shutter opens for a fraction of a second and a latent image is formed on the film.

Do you really think that after unwinding a roll and having it exposed to light for an hour while you struggle with it, that it's still going to work?!

Sorry again, I don't mean to be mean, but it is quite funny. Figure out how to load your camera properly and you will have lots of enjoyment. See if you can use this first roll as a practice roll simply for loading the camera.

Haha, sorry, I had to laugh at this!!!

Do you know how film works? It's sensitive to light of course. The camera shutter opens for a fraction of a second and a latent image is formed on the film.

Do you really think that after unwinding a roll and having it exposed to light for an hour while you struggle with it, that it's still going to work?!

Sorry again, I don't mean to be mean, but it is quite funny. Figure out how to load your camera properly and you will have lots of enjoyment. See if you can use this first roll as a practice roll simply for loading the camera.

I figured, but, I wanted to be sure.

In the long run though, I did figure out how to properly load the camera so I guess thats good...

Check this: Lomography Diana F+

What they say seems good advise. What they don't say, though...

Some people leave the band on the film when they put the roll into the camera. I take it off but hold on tight to make sure the film doesn't unspool

When pulling the film/paper from the supply spool to the take-up spool, only pull out the amount needed to get from spool to spool and engage correctly. Not too much; not too little.

Load in subdued light.

I'm not sure if Diana has a dot to align the arrow with or not. If not I have no idea how Diana knows where the film starts.

I

Some people leave the band on the film when they put the roll into the camera. I take it off but hold on tight to make sure the film doesn't unspool

When pulling the film/paper from the supply spool to the take-up spool, only pull out the amount needed to get from spool to spool and engage correctly. Not too much; not too little.

Load in subdued light.

I'm not sure if Diana has a dot to align the arrow with or not. If not I have no idea how Diana knows where the film starts.

I actually was there when I was looking around, and thats what actually gave me the idea to unroll it all, however, I am more informed now and probably should have watched a video in the first place.

Im actually feeling pretty confident when my next roll of b&w 120 comes in a few days!

Thanks everyone for help, I think im going to practice loading a few more times with this junk roll.

Even more funny are the eBay auctions that have pictures showing what is inside the can of film, or showing all sheets of a package of photographic paper.

If you unrolled enough to see the actual plastic based film, and not just paper, then it is too far.

If you are going to develop it yourself, though, you will want some film to practice loading the tank, and it sounds like you now have some. So, not a complete waste.

-- glen

There was an old Jerry Lewis movie in which he played a photographer. He was in his studio about to take a shot with an 8x10 view camera. He took the 8x10 film holder, pulled out the dark slide and looked at the film. He then said, "That's a good emulsion," reinserted the dark slide and put the film holder into the back of the camera. I wonder how many people watching "got" the joke.
James G. Dainis

Load in subdued light.

The Diana uses a red window on the back, as it doesn't have a built in film counter.