120 film in Hawaii

pshinkaw

I'm travelling to Honolulu later in June (2002). I was thinking of

purchasing 120 color negative film after I get there. I prefer Fuji or

Agfa in 400 speed, but I can live with with Kodak if I have to. Do

regular consumer places like Long Drugs have 120 film or will I have

to hunt up a pro shop?

-Paul

Longs Drugs won't have 120 film. My favorite supplier there is Snap Shot Camera at 629 Pohukaina Street in Honolulu. Let's see -- go out Kapiolani towards Pearl City and turn towards the ocean on Queen Street, go down to Puhokaina St. and take a right. Snap Shot should be on the right. At least, that's where it was the last time I was there -- places move around in Hawaii. Try calling (808) 593-8345 -- they should be able to help you out with whatever film you want.

Unfortunately, Snap Shot has gone out of business. But there are three relatively convenient Honolulu shops that stock 120. Francis Camera (973-4480), which is on the "mountain side" of the Ala Moana Shopping Center. Kaimuki Camera (735-5955)is at the top of Waialae Ave., an easy drive from Waikiki. There's a large public parking lot across the street from the shop. I use ColorPrints Inc. (521-2836), a full-service professional lab, which is downtown at South Beretania and Fort Street Mall (but then its an easy walk from my office). There is fairly good street parking around the building. All of them also offer processing services; Longs doesn't process 120. Kaimuki Camera also has a Fuji Frontier system with very fast turnaround. Hope that helps.

Floyd,

Snap Shot Camera, is that anywhere near the old Police Station on Beretania Street? Is the owner a fellow by the name of Larry?

I thought that beside Francis Camera and Kaimuki Camera, that Larry Super Saver Camera (name might be wrong??) also stocked 120 / 220 film. Is Light Inc. still around for film processing?

Its been close to 10 years since I left Hawaii. Time sure has changed...

Evan Dong

Snapshot used to be in Koko Marina shopping center near Hanauma Bay a looong time ago, but they moved to the downtown area, and are now gone completely I guess.

Larry owns Supersave Camera which is on Young Street near where the police station used to be. To get there from Ala Moana Shopping Center, take the central exit that goes mauka (that means 'towards the mountains') on Keeaumoku Street. After you cross King Street (four or five lane one-way street going east -- that is to your right if you are going towards the mountains), Young Street will be next. Take a left there and Supersave is in the Young Street Center about 50 yards from Keeaumoku. He carries 120 film and sells used cameras on consignment, but eBay is probably killing his used camera business.

I also recommend Kaimuki Camera which is at the top of the Kaimuki Avenue hill. Very friendly owner and he stocks 120 film.

No Longs Drugs that I know of does 120 film. Kahala Photo used to do it a long time ago, but they stopped a few years ago and I never bothered to check back with them. One of the minilabs in Pearlridge Center did 120 film (but not a very good job of it)... so you're probably best off going to Light Inc. or Colorprints for your processing. Both are in the downtown area.

There's another lab near Waikiki... right across from the McCully Shopping Center (the one with Taco Bell at the corner of Kapiolani Boulevard and McCully St.)... They do a lot of work for pros, but perhaps aren't as careful with "regular guys" because they churned out REALLY red prints the one and only time I used them. Sorry... forgot their name.

Evan,

Kevin is correct. Larry does run Super Save Camera. Its a great little shop at 1334 Young St., and I've picked up a camera and light meter there. Many pros frequent the shop for deals; his selection of consignment cameras isn't big, but is usually interesting). He's probably got some of the best prices on film. (You should call ahead, though, to make sure he's got your film in stock. 808 593-2431) That said, Kaimuki Camera prices for film and equipment (mostly tripods and accessories, some camera) are comparable to on-line prices. Light Inc., mentioned above, shut down a couple of years ago.

A follow up to the original question: Francis Camera is open 7 days a week. Kaimuki Camera is open from Monday to Saturday. Super Save Camera is open only from Monday to Friday. ColorPrints is also open Monday to Friday, but they have worked with pros on rush weekend jobs.

Floyd and Kevin,

Thanks for the memories!! Its been almost 10 years since I left Hawaii. I used to do all my 120 film buying from Larry's. Both of you were correct to state that Larry had some pretty interesting items for sale on consignment. For film, I would definitely use Larry SuperSaver, Francis Camera and then Light Inc. I was also under the impression that if you go to Kodak (is it on Queen Street near Lion Coffee?) and they will also sell you fresh 120 film.

Evan

Light Inc. is gone? That's a bit of a surprise. But, then again, I haven't been living in Hawaii for the past five years and even though I go back for regular visits, I haven't been shooting much 120 film while I'm there.

Anyway, I dug up the info I couldn't remember when writing my earlier post -- the lab on Kapiolani that I was saying is across from McCully Shopping Center is called Hawaii Pacific Photo. I used them two years ago and they did a pretty bad job on a developing and printing job of mine (WAY too much red). They did make some nice reprints of a different negative for me, though.

Last time I dropped in at Colorprints was 2 years ago... I guess they're still there?

I did visit Larry at Supersave a couple of times this past January. His selection of used camera gear has REALLY gone down from when I used to visit his shop almost weekly in the mid 90's. But his shop is still one of the places I make a point to visit any time I'm back home.

Francis Camera? Way too expensive for just about everything. But that's probably because their rent is sky high being right next to Ala Moana Shopping Center.

• 1 month later...

I made my trip and returned to the mainland. Shot 6 rolls of 120 in my Moskva-5 (6X9). I bought Fuji 120 rollfilm at Francis Camera on Kapiolani. For a visitor, it's pretty convenient. They have parking behind the store. The prices are higher than on the mainland, but it's better than risking the airport security. The day I returned, I boxed all of my film, exposed (12 rolls of 35mm and 6 of 120) plus the few unexposed rolls I had left and shipped it to myself by FedEx.

The only downside were the light leaks on three frames (2 different rolls). Since they ocurred at the end of the rolls and go beyond the framelines, I suspect that I should have looked for a darker place to reload. It was very bright on top of the Diamond Head lookout at 4:00 PM.

By the way, 35mm prices at K-Mart and Safeway are pretty much the same as on the mainland.

-Paul

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...

<p>Imageworks/Hawaii Camera in Kaimuki, Oahu, sells many brands of 120 film, color AND black and white. You should give them a call or check out their website: 808-735-0755 http://www.imageworkshawaii.com/about</p>

<p>If you're looking to get it processed, there's a shop called Rainbow Photo that will still do it. http://www.rainbowphotovideo.com</p>

<p>aaronvb</p>