12-24 lens for Pentax digital

AJG

I have a Sigma 12 - 24 for Pentax, and have been satisfied (enough) with it except for the purple ghosting problem with the slightest light

source outside of the frame. Is the Pentax 12 - 24 any better? The one thing I like about the Sigma is that it is full frame and works on

my old LX bodies as well, but I would upgrade if it would really be a significant improvement for my digital cameras.

Andrew Gillis

I think Pentax 12-24 may be somewhat better than Sigma 12-24 in terms of CA but it is still significant. The Sigma 10-22 or Pentax DA 14mm are probably even better in this particular regard.

Are you shooting RAW? This can generally be fairly well-corrected during post-processing with a single slider control.

I recently got the 12-24 Pentax.. So far I have mixed results and feelings about the lens.. Have not run into the CA problem.. but then again have not taken photos that would have created a setting to get them. I would post a few, but I am still away, and it is a pain to upload photos. I'll be back home after the 13th of October.. if you are still interested in having a look at some photos, feel free to email me.

In the RAW converter there should be some sort of CA/Chromatic Aberration sliders, possibly under some sort of 'Lens' correction category. I don't have CS3 in front of me at the moment but <A HREF=http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/correcting-chromatic-abberation-using-adobe-photoshop-cs/>here's an article</A> describing it for an older photoshop version.

I tried those sliders on CS3 but they didn't do anything about the problem. I suspect that the issue is flare rather than

chromatic aberration, hence my question about the Pentax 12 - 24. I know that this is likely to be more of a problem with a

wide angle zoom than it would be with a normal focal length macro, for example, but I am interested to see if anyone has

used both lenses and could compare their performance.