10x8 C-41 processing problems....

noah

I'm having some problems getting my 10x8 color negative film (Kodak 160NC) processed

properly. I've tried two different labs in New York so far, Duggal and Coloredge, and both

seem to have problems with agitation or some other aspect of the process. The problem is

that I'm getting uneven, mottled results. This is mostly visible in large, even areas of sky.

This is a real problem for me since large areas of sky figure prominently in my work.

I'm sure others have had this problem, does anyone know a decent lab in NYC (preferably)

that can get it right? In case anyone suggests that I do it myself, I have done lots of

darkroom work and wouldn't mind it under other circumstances, but I live in a tiny studio

apartment and don't have room for the chemicals and equipment, nor do I have the time.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jobos take up little room.

Mottling sky is insufficient or poor agitation. I am sure no lab will accept your advice or change their methods.

Some clamp the film between aligator clips and stretch it out of shape so it is not flat when they are done. They claim it does not hurt anything. Ha. How are you supposed to focus on a neg that is not flat?

Look up the Q labs on Kodak`s site. These are ones that follow Kodaks quality control procedures. The listings are broken up by E6 and C41.

Problems like this are why I gave up most color work. 4x5 goes in my Jobo. Roll film goes to the only Q lab in my state and it is local. I can`t do better than they do. Too bad they don`t do 4x5 as they are essentially a wedding lab and not set up for it.

Believe me when I say I don't have room for a jobo in my 280 square foot apartment. I

don't blame you for giving up on color, but that's not an option for me. Thanks for

suggesting the kodak-certified places. I'll check out their site. Anyone have any good

experiences with NYC labs?

Color Space Imaging

135 W 20th St

212-229-2969

Ask for Ben. They do dip and dunk and only process & print C-41 film. I've used them &

Hong for years and never had a problem. I've only gone as big as 4x5. They care about what

they do and don't treat you like a number.

I stopped by Baboo today, they no longer process C-41 sheet film, only E-6. I was picking

something up at house of portfolios and I noticed some postcards for a new lab, PixPoint,

at 164 W.25th. Stopped in, it's a very new and boutique operation for C-41 and C-prints.

The president was very nice, said they have a few big clients right now but welcome

smaller-volume customers, and they do NOT have any of the of the "you're not a big name

so therefore you suck" attitude I've experienced at other NYC labs. The slogan on their

card is "Are you still shooting digital?" so that alone made me like the place. I dropped off

some sheets, I'll post more once I get some results.

Noah,

I know and have experienced your problem. I lost a years worth of shooting ( two trips to

Europe) due to insufficient agitation. Jobo caused streaks and dip and dunk caused

mottling. Both Kodak and Fuji films show the streaking and mottling. Believe me when I

say you will not find even processing from any of the labs mention by the others. If you

have smooth tone, clear blue skies you will get mottling. I have sent tests to many of

them and they have all failed. I've tested labs all around the country. Only one will give you

the results you are looking for. Light Waves lab in San Francisico. You must ask for

"exhibition quality processing". They have a special processor that is built just for the

needs of large format C41. and each sheet of film is monitored by a technician. It's

expensive. But losing your work to bad processing will cost you more.

Kodak knows of the problem but was of little help in solving it. They sent me to several

labs and none could produce film without mottling. I spent the entire summer testing and

processing my own film to get the results we all look for. Even processing, smooth tone in

the sky. I use a Wing Lynch rotary tube processor that I have finally gotten to produce

even processing. I have not had good results from the JOBO I tried. I realize this solution

is not for everyone - but I did solve the problem. You must have constant random

agitation. I believe the JOBO will work if properly set up. But I don't own one so I can not

do the testing. I had the WIng Lynch and have used it for many years for B&W and E6. I

know the machine well and when set up right it's very consistant and even.

Call Light Waves in San Francisco - tell them what your problems are with processing - I'm

sure they can help.

Good luck. Let me know how you make out.

James--have you had your problems with 10x8 film or smaller? I was wondering if the

problem is reduced with, say, 5x7? I was considering how much money I could save if I

switch to 5x7, and if the processing is easier at that size that might be further incentive to

switch.

Noah,

I shoot 4x5 and have had the mottling problems - it gets worse as you go up in size. My

friend shoots 8x10 and lost a years worth of work from poor processing. The larger the

surface area the more difficult it is to get even processing. I don't think switching to 5x7

will solve the problem. It's the way the film is processed. Send some film to San Francisco

and see what they can do. My friend who shoots 8x10 landscape just got some film back

from them and was very happy. Let me know how you make out.

Jim

• 3 months later...

This is an interesting line of enquiry for me as my preferred lab has just given up film

processing alltogether and there is increasingly less choice where to get C41 sheet film

processed in the UK. Anyhow my point is that I have a Colenta 30 rotary discard machine

which does a fine job processing roll film but yes the streaks in the sky turn up when

processing 5X4 sheet film - and particularly with more recent film such as the Kodak 400

portra (an otherwise great film - particularly for pinhole work) One suggestion I was given

was to increase the amount of develloper so as to cover the film better. Also start the

rotation before letting the chemistry in. This did not help much. I think the problem is

caused by the short processing time. I never see this problem with E6 processing times.

As has been mentioned regarding black and white film and colour paper processing, Jobo

suggest pre wetting the material which works well but with colour neg film all sorts of

strange things start happening! The other thought I had was to increase the bleach bath,

perhaps that does not cover the film fast enough at the change over? I can see I will just

have to keep at it and hope that I can fix it somehow!

The 'industrial revolution' is definately upon us, I think in the years to come we will have to

rely more and more on our own skills if we want to continue working with these wonderful

materials. I will be looking out for any more suggestions that you may think worth

considering.

• 1 year later...
Jim's got the answer. Light Waves uses an old Refrema compact that was specially modified by Kodak and Refrema. The main differences are an extra sparger line in the developer tank, continuous agitation during processing and a second recirculation pump added to the bleach tank. They also run a lightly fogged sheet of 8x10 before running any client film and contact that to look for mottling. It's pricey and there's a $160 minimum but your film will look great.