OK, I am a bit lost, so I thought I would ask for help.

I have been shooting a 10D in RAW mode for two years. I currently

use Capture One V1.2 with Photoshop Elements.

I would like to upgrade software, but I find the options a bit

confusing. Note that COST is a factor. The ability to process 100

photos in a single sitting is important to me. The ability to

process RAW photos from a Canon S40 in addition to my 10D is

important. . .but I realize that this won't happen.

My takeaways so far:

1) Photoshop CS: (a) Expensive. (b) Irksome activation policies ©

Not suited to mass production?

2) Capture One V3.7 (a) Pro version a blatant ripoff -> but does the

LE version even support a 10D?? (b) From what I read. . .this

program seems buggy. . with frequent and expensive upgrades?

3) DPP (a) Free (which is good), but (b) still not ready for prime

time? © Slow for bulk image editing?

It almost seems that upgrading is not worth the effort. Am I off

base here?

I would say you are off base.

1) Photoshop at retail costs less than a decent computer with large monitor. Photoshop is cheap compared to many professional creative computer applications (Clearcase, Visual Studio, Oracle, ...). While Photoshop is not cheap, the set of tools you get far exceeds that of any competing product. Some RAW converters (i.e., Capture One, ...) may be better at what they do, but they do not do nearly as much (pre-press, web, and photo editing).

2) Photoshop upgrades cost little more than the lesser tools on the market.

3) You will barely even notice the activation step and this is only likely to be irksome if you are stealing the software.

4) Photoshop CS2 has a new RAW converter much better suited to mass production. Add in the batch and macro facilities built into Photoshop and you have an excellent tool that is currently widely used in mass production.

But in the end, is upgrading worth it? That depends on what you need.

some thoughts,

Sean

I have to caveat this by stating that I'm just barely starting to work with a digital camera/Raw processing. But... I downloaded the free Raw converter from <A HREF="http://www.pixmantec.com/index2.html">Pixmantec</A>, and I'm pretty impressed - especially since its free. I haven't tried to go through a large number of files yet, but the interface seems to be set up in a way that it could be done quickly.

I also have a 10D and at first I was using Canon's supplied RAW software to convert the images. But since Adobe has released their RAW software that's integrated into Photoshop, I no longer use Canon's software. For me, the swtich was due to the fact that I also started processing RAW images from different cameras and the ability to be able to use one software and become familiar with it was an advantage, rather than using each manufacturer's dedicated software. Also, since I use Photoshop to further process the images after conversion, it simplifies my workflow.

<p>

I understand that a first purchase of Photoshop is a lot up front, but, as Sean mentioned, the amount of features that it has makes it more than worth it, including the upgrades.

<p>

But to just start out, I agree with Gary and recommend using Pixmantec's RawShooter. It's free and although I haven't really used it, the reviews I've read about it put it on par with Photoshop's Camera Raw. The main thing to keep in mind is that it is free so you can't go wrong.

I use Capture One 3.7 LE for my 10D RAW Files. I've found it worth the $99 price tag, and completely bug free so far (about 1 yr).

Raw Shooter Essentials is also very good, and it's free. I've downloaded it and played around with it, but I prefer (have gotten used to) the Capture One interface and "look" of the files. Capture One also supports the camera profiles put out by Magne Nielsen, and works with printer profiles (I think RSE may also do this, but I'm not sure...)

Anyhow, I'd recommend RSE or C1 for RAW conversion. Photoshop is a very important tool, but I'd bet that Elements does everything you need it to right now.

Hope this helps!

Sheldon

Hmmm. I now see that both C1 and PS CS2 have funky activation protocols. Without starting a huge debate: Let me just say that I find this a HUGE turnoff. I do work with both a desktop and a laptop. The desktop is upgraded regularly (ie, I reinstall the operating system on a routine basis) -> and software activations are a MAJOR nuisance.

As for functionality: PSE Elements is ok. I really do need the "curves" adjustment that PSE elements lacks. I also find the interface clunky when dealing with mass quantities of photos. I dislike all the diving into menus. . .The "tabs" in C1 are very convienient, but C1 V1.2 lacks a clone stamp tool and I dislike the "sharpening" features in C1. Today, I do a first pass in C1 V1.2; and a second pass in PSE (for sharpening at a minimum).

You have had C1 V3.7 for a year? I thought that software was released only last month?

I've been using Capture One LE, version 3.5 now for several months with both my 10D and Digital Rebel and really like it alot. If I need to go into Photoshop CS and do some work I just turn off sharpening in C1 and do what I need to do in Photoshop, but most of my images do not require any work in Photoshop after coming out of Capture One unless there's something special I'm looking to do with an image. I wouldn't want to not have Photoshop because of all the extra tools, like Layer Masks, the clone tool, healing brush, etc.. No matter what RAW program you use, Photoshop is absolutely necessary if you really want to have all available options and tools. I play with Adobe RAW from time to time but I've yet to dedicate a whole lot of time to it because the results I get now are not lacking as far as what makes me happy.

If you are a student, there are some good prices on Photoshop and other software. But perhaps it boils down to whether your aversion to activation means you'll never use PS. It sounds like you need to decide that issue and the money one first. Good luck!