cgo

did something I probably shouldn't have done ... I erased the

contents of my 10D formatted CF card then copied a number of jpg's

to it to view on my Pocket PC 2002 PDA. I inserted the card in the

PDA and immediately got prompted to Format which I didn't want to do

so, I said no. I couldn't view any pics, so I returned to CF to the

10D only to get Err 02. Remove and reload the card gets the same

result. The 10D manual says to format it but how do you do that if

the camera won't run with the error code?

Help !!!

Hi C.G. - That's weird - if the camera won't allow you to format it, you should be able to insert the card in a CF card reader and format it just like any other "disk drive". However, you may need to be careful depending on the OS you're using on your PC. Since whatever data that was on the card seems to be gone, I can't see how you could make it any worse. If you have a CF card reader attached to a PC, I think you'll be ok formatting it with just a regular format command - like you would a floppy. Another thought - if you have a second CF card, you might try "booting" the camera with it, then swapping cards to see if that might trick it into formatting the bad one. Good luck!! . . . beau :)

Thanks Beau ...

Neither my XP Pro PC nor my PDA can read or write to the card. Neither can format it either! Other CF cards work fine.

"Another thought - if you have a second CF card, you might try "booting" the camera with it, then swapping cards to see if that might trick it into formatting the bad one." Since changing cards reboots the camera, this doesn't work either.

If your saying your PC can't format the card it sounds like you already have a card reader. If neither your puter, camera, or PDA will talk to the card I think it may be time to ditch it and get a new one. It sounds like the card has lost any formatting, the camera only did half its job. This would mean the card would show up in windows explorer, but be 'drive not accessible' when you try to talk to it.

I don't ever format the cards unless something is odd with them (usually available space starts shrinking) and then I always format it in the computer.

You could always pick up one of the new Lexar 4Gb CF cards, they're only around $1500.

If it's only two weeks old, you stand a good chance of returning it in exchange for a new one! Seems to be either that or dumping it!

BTW I got a Sandisk CF card from CostCo the other day and it was dead. I returned it the same day and got an exchange - looking behind the counter, I could see I hadn't been the only one to return a SanDisk card! (I know CostCo doesn't always get the best batches of items!) It may well have been on the verge of failing when you got it

Andy

I do believe Andy's right - it sounds like your CF card bit the dust somehow. I can't imagine Sandisk *not* giving you another one since it's only a couple of weeks old. I think it's telling that three devices - camera, PDA and PC, cannot read or write to the card. I'd be sure and tell Sandisk that, and it's not just your camera that doesn't like it. Good luck! . . . beau