105mm Micro 'D' version & non 'D'?

nikonuserf100

I'm a little confused about the difference between the 105mm micro AF

lens in 'D' version and non 'D' version. I'm looking for a micro lens

for my D70 and have seen both of these advertised. Could someone tell

me the difference and which one might be better for the D70, or if it

makes a difference.

I am not aware of a *non-D* version of the 105mm/f2.8 AF Micro Nikkor. Perhaps one exists and I don't know.

It is said to make a difference with on-Camera flash, but I have never experienced it because I do so little flash work. But you should always try and get the D version of any AF lens whenever possible.

I have the 105mm/f2.8 AF macro right in front of me as I am posting this answer. Optically there is no difference between this lens and the later D version. In fact, having D is the only difference between the two. Either version will work fine on your D70 with AF and all types of metering available. Since most people agree that having D is merely a minor advantage in some flash situations, the price spread between the two versions should be minor as well.

Most macro work is done with manual focus anyway so that AF is not important. However, the small viewfinder on your D70 can be an issue with critical manual focus, but that is an issue with the body, not the lens.

70% of my macro work is done with a 105mm AF-D lens, the balance being handled by a

35+ year-old 55mm f3.5 AIS (which is sharper than the 105, BTW). For the type of work I

assume somebody would be considering a dedicated macro lens for, there is no practical

difference between between "D", "non-D", "AIS", or whatever, though Carlos probably

would find it easier to work with an AF lens on his D70. The exposure is either right or it

isn't and with digital, you get instant feedback, so it's moot. I'm not going so far as to

accuse Nikon of inventing a marketing scheme, but I challenge anybody to post,

demonstrate, or otherwise show images taken with an identical camera body, identical

strobes, identical film (or digital settings, better yet) and the same lens in both "D" and

"non-D" incarnations that show a clear advantage to the "D" version. I recall people

speculating that a D-lens would handle tricky situations where lots of reflective surfaces

were involved. Maybe so, but since very few people shoot only pictures of mirrors or

chrome, who really knows?

For many years, my entire field kit consisted of the two abovementioned macros plus a

20mm AF, non-D lens. Two lenses for shooting plants and critters up close, one super-

wide for getting close and keping the bakground in the frame. Fill-flash was always used.

Another guy I periodically shot with had a 20mm AF-D. Guess what?: No difference in

exposures whatsoever. You either nail it or you don't and with a digital body, you can nail

it every time.

Is there a mechanical difference between "D" and "non-D" lenses? Sure. Is there a real-

world performance difference? Nobody has clearly demonstrated that yet and "D" lenses

have been on the market for close to 10 years now. There are lots of things to like about

this lens, such as its robust build quality, good manual focussing action, optical

performance near 1:1 and some things I would change (harsh bokeh and crappy

aperature ring) but if my 105 fell into a lake tomorrow, I then needed to buy a new one,

and somebody placed both a "D" and "non-D" lens on the table in front of me of equal

condition, my decision would be based only on price, not upon mysterious technology

which any person has yet to be able to empirically demonstrate actually taking a better

picture. Buy one and use it, you won't regret it.