105mm Macro digital factor

ryan_b

Hi Ryan,

The digital effect is essentially "cropping" the central image area. Theoretically this should not degrade the image at all. Actually the corner to corner sharpness could infact be better because the usage of the central part of the image which is usually better in general!!

The depth of field, working distance etc should be exactly the same. But there's no longer the field of view of a 105mm lens!!!

Cheers,

I shoot the 105 macro on a D100. It works great. You have a smaller feald of view but its not that big of a deal. I also use the 60mm macro on my D100 as my walk around lens and it works very well also.

They are very sharp and have great color with very good contrast.

As to the quality of the image use the same rules you use for film macro. But watch out you can loose a little sharpness from defraction if you stop to far down. I seem to get the best response around f/16 on tge 60 and 105..I am adding a shot from my 60..sorry I am at work right now so I dont have a full selection of my images to pick from but this one is just about strait out of the camera. No USM jsut a little brightness and contrast

The AF105/2.8 is a great lens with many positive opinions from many people, and works fine for macro up to 1:1 (Which of course gives the same field of view as 24x36 at 1.5:1, so you fill the frame and feel like you're even closer, but with the same working distance).

At significantly greater than 1:1, things get challenging. I have photographed the wirebonds on a silicon chip with a D1+TC200+PB6+24mm lens, (This is ~10:1) but lighting and focusing get difficult. An F5 with an M screen would have been easier to focus. But with digital, why not just bracket the focusing, too? This is pretty much the absurdity limit before the use of a real photomicroscope is needed.

For anything short of my absurd example, a digital body with any of Nikon's Micro lenses should be just fine!