100mm Lens for Softball

zackojones

Greetings,

Has anyone used a 100mm lens for behind the plate shots at a softball game? I

shot some of the girls batting using my 50mm lens and the results are okay but

not as zoomed in as I would prefer. Attached is one of the shots I took today.

I cropped it slightly to get rid of the umpires leg that was in the frame.

If I buy a 100mm lens I'd most likely get the 100mm Macro lens so I can use it

for more than sports unless there's an overwhelming reason to get the 100mm f/2

instead.

As always I appreciate the advice you all give here, thanks!<div>00MOwU-38242784.JPG.61ca869284fb73e2468509925b90bfc0.JPG</div>

Depending on what else you shoot, I'd tend to go with a 70-200 for softball. It's much more versatile, allowing you to get decent shots from behind 1st and 3rd base as well. If you can't get close to the field, you can add a 1.4x extender for a little more reach.

Good luck!

You can certainly use a fixed focal length lens to press right up against chainlink fence behind homeplate. Matching that desirable focal length to the field you'll be shooting in might be tricky. <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/3731588&size=lg">This</a> was taken with an 85mm lens from the first base side during a night game. Given the 100mm choice you're making, it depends on whether you value macro photography or lowlight/shallow d.o.f. shooting more. Only you can give yourself an honest answer here. Most likely though even if you end up with a 100mm macro, you'll want to get longer lens (200mm or 300mm) for your sports especially since you seem to shoot more and more of this genre.

All: Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that the 100mm (or some other) lens would be in addition to the 200mm f/2.8L lens I use which I need to add to my list of lenses in my profile.

Tom: The 70-200 is a good option though I would prefer the f/2.8 version over the f/4. If I were going to spend $1000+ right now it would be on a 40D instead of another lens.

Wilson: Macro is something I do enjoy; however the amount of macro photography I'd do compared to sports photography probably doesn't justify the extra expense. I can always rent the macro lens. So that narrows things down a bit. Would I be better off with 100mm f/2 or 85mm 1.8. Is 15mm of reach worth the $50.00 price difference? I have seen that picture you linked before. Your work is amazing.

Kelly: I'm selling the 75-300 and 18-55 to help offset the cost of the 20mm f/2.8L lens.

Generally speaking I seem to prefer primes to zooms with the possible exception being the 70-200 since I have used that in the past and really like it.

Zach, that being the case, then 85-f1.8 or 100-f2 choice is a matter of which focal length you find more useful for your own shooting style. I'm not too familiar with Canon lens line up, but undertand that the 85 f1.8 is a fast focusing lens with nice result even wide open, and it doesn't hurt being more affordable of the two. With your existing 200mm and getting the 85mm f1.8 for now, you still have a nice opportunity for that sweet 135mm f2 in future. ^_^

Zach,

I had the same issues as you. I have gone prime only route using the 50/1.4, 100/2, 135/2 and the 200/2.8 all on a 30D. The 85/1.8 is a great lens as well. The 1.6 crop helps the long end and I end up shooting with the 135 and the 200 almost 100% of the time split evenly based on distance to HP.

Wilson: If money were no object I'd have lots of lenses, but since it is I will probably go with the 85mm f/1.8. I will just have to scour the garage for more stuff to put on Ebay first.

Doug: Wanna rent me your 85mm lens for a few weeks until I can get my own? :)

I'm pretty happy with the results the 50mm lens provided I just need to remember to shoot it wide open. I didn't do that and had to toss out some good shots due to the fence showing up in the frame :(

What lens do you all primarily use for volleyball?

Zach,

I would rent the 85 1.8 but this is tennis season here in Minnesota and I use it almost all the time, because the coaches let us inside the fences to shoot.

Pull the trigger on the 85 you will not be let down for the price.

Some others have said the 70-200 2.8 is great, but plunking down a grand plus some for the Non IS version is tough to do. It will pay off, but the out lay is hard to swallow. I would rather spend the grand on 135 2.0 before a 70-200, which is what I did. IMO anyway.

David: I'm sure I'll eventually get a zoom as I am having some difficulty using prime lenses only but I'm just getting started so I'll stick with what I have now. Besides I really want a 40D so a zoom will have to wait.

Doug: I may pick up an 85 in the near future. I shot another game this afternoon using my 50mm 1.8 and 200mm lenses and am happy with the outcome. The sample below was taken through the fence using the 50mm.<div>00MQZP-38284584.JPG.e8796b9cc8ed3e29cd8239eb55d0ab54.JPG</div>