100 rolls of TMax 120 film in iso400. Exp 11/2013.

100 rolls of TMax 120 film in iso400. Exp 11/2013. Always refrigerated. How do you think this would perform and what do you think would be a fair price for the 100? Also, some of the rolls were frozen. Do you think there would be a marked difference in the performance between the refrigerated and frozen rolls?

They should be good, they haven't aged much in terms of refrigerated films. The refrigerated ones won't be any different to the frozen ones, they're just not old enough, only a little over four years. They're worth US$7-8 each sold separately or US$600 sold as a job lot

I agree that TMY 6 years past expiration and always refrigerated/frozen is nothing.

In terms of aging, slower films tend to do better than faster films, but on the whole B&W film ages more gracefully than color negative, which in turn is better than slide film.

I've shot Tri-X 20 years past expiration and no storage history, and other than elevated base fog it was fine. I regularly shoot known frozen Plus-X that expired in 2012 and it's perfectly fine also.

I do disagree with the above price assessment. B&H sells 5-roll packs of 120 TMY-2(fresh and in date) for $32.95, or $6.59 a roll. It use to be that the "standard" price at a lot of brick and mortar stores for expired film was 1/2 price, although I think this has crept up in recent years. Still, though, it would be tough to get more than $4 a roll out of it for me, and probably $300 or $350 for the lot of it. I will dig deeper for expired film no longer made, but for something I can buy new I have a hard time paying more than 2/3 the new price for stuff several years past expiration.

Thanks for your comments guys.

There seems to be a general consensus that they will be fine to shoot. I did post the question on various sites and almost all say they will shoot fine.

As for the watermark issue, i found a website that lists the emulsion numbers of the films that could be affected :

John Sexton.com - Newsletter - May, 2016

The interesting thing from all the peoples answers is the range of prices people suggested. They ranged from almost full price to almost a dollar a roll. the average seemed to be around $3 per roll though.

A quick search

TMAX400 120 watermark defect - current status?

Emulsion numbers that may exhibit the above problem only in Kodak 120 format roll film:

(Emulsion numbers can be found on the film box, the foil wrapper, and printed on the clear edge of processed film near frame number 11.

Kodak T-Max 400

Emulsion 0148 004 through 0152

oops, sorry Kmac, didn't read your comment properly!

I know this thread was started for the Kodak 400 emulsions (120), but all should be aware that this bleed problem CAN crop up in other emulsions by other film providers. Here you can see the bleed of numbers from a recent Rollei 80s (120) I exposed several weeks ago. The only data I have to offer is that the film was purchased 3/15 from a known brick / mortar company in Calif. It was stored in my frig here in Hawaii in it's plastic container until used. The bleed is noticeable without massive darkening or contrast improvements. Also noticed was a massive "cottage cheese" effect throughout the film. Development was my normal pyro procedure. I have no data other than the purchase date but will be ordering a lot within a week or two. This lot will be tested before using it on anything. Aloha, Bill1954853213_-007cex.jpg.cb5893333aff68be2508d2626ab6b23f.jpg

Near me, they are $30.95 for a five roll pack, or $6.19 for one roll without box.

(That is, they will separate the rolls in the five pack.)

Plus tax, though.

Right now, I have enough film that I am not interested, but as above, between

half and 2/3 new price for me. Maybe 2/3 shipping included.

I bid sometimes on eBay for films, though not usually TMY, and $3 per roll

is about right.

-- glen