100 d-FA f/2.8 Pentax WR Macro lens

AJG

<p>I recently sent my 100 macro back for warrantee repair, with a sticky diaphragm actuation. The authorized repair station in Connecticut needs parts to fix it, and they don't seem to know when they will be available. I have only had this lens since July and it hasn't been dropped, abused or even used outside, and I'm a bit frustrated since this is the first Pentax lens I've ever bought (at least 25 and counting over the last 30 years) that has had a problem. Has anyone else had mechanical problems with this lens, and what has been your experience with Pentax USA repair service?</p>

<p>It is bummer to have an issue with lens. My dealing with Pentax repair was with CRIS and it is all different with current Precision. CRIS has handled it well in two repairs with one done in warranty with white Pentax K-x with faulty SD card reader and one done out-of-pocket when my k20D dies right after my 3-year extended warranty was out.</p>

<p>In the case with Pentax K20D, the mirror box and shutter control was unresponsive and the parts needed to come from Japan to US repair shop, the shipment took about 3 to 4 weeks and the parts shipment came by sea. The overall repair took 5+ weeks. It seemed reasonable now but when you don't have a working gear, you will be the one that feels the most pain. I now highly praised what CRIS has done in the handling, not only do they go out their way in communication, their service was great and got my K20D back from graveyard. <br /><br />But precision may likely be different story, I hope for the better but you should not count on my experience as the two companies differ. Pentax service center is another story that is more on the negative side for me, they didn't feel my pain in both instances that I chatted with them. I got more sympathy from CRIS than the Pentax rep on service center. Your mileage will vary with the representative on Pentax end that take care your case. A good rep makes the world of difference for me.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've had mine quite a while with no problems, albeit with only light use. I have found it to be an exceptionally fine lens. Sorry to hear of your lens' defect, which is the first I have heard of with this model. It has been in production numerous years, and I cannot fathom why there should be any issue in getting yours repaired. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for the comments--I just heard from Precision and they won't have parts until May 25, then another 5-7 days for repair. Pentax should re-think how they stock parts if this is typical; I can't see a lot of potential K-1 owners being thrilled by having to wait a month or more to get their cameras returned.</p>

<p>Douglas--there is a web number in their e-mail that allows you to go to their website and check the status of your repair, if you haven't checked it yet. Good luck on a quick return!</p>

<p>Along with a bunch of lenses, I just bought a DFA100 WR. Love the fact it's a WR and love it the IQ, although I can't say I've done any real macro with it yet. No issues so far, but I only used it for about 50 shots over a week in the month I've had it.</p>

<p>Sounds like bad luck. Chances are it's a rare issue and they don't have parts for it. Perhaps the aperture has to be replaced? </p>

<p>This is quite a lens for portraits or tele use. It is lacking two things in not having a focus limiter and it does not help when aperture ring is absent in the DA series lens. I am old fashioned with A setting on the ring most of the time but having a aperture ring wins in my book as it can be adapted easily to other platforms. But when I put into into portrait shooting, not having the focus limiter doesn't hinder the tele use. AF is louder like other DA lenses but the image quality really pays off. The build is excellent. And having WR is big plus for one of those rare moments that you shoot macro after the rain or a portraits in the beach or a foggy coastline. <br>

<br /><a href=" 20160422-IMGP9235-Edit src="https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1613/26377773660_a061b64536_b.jpg" alt="" width="1024" height="678" /><br /></a>f/5.6, iso 125, 1/60 sec, K-5</p>

<p><a href=" 20160507-IMGP9580-Edit src="https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7212/26823894851_d6262b6788_b.jpg" alt="" width="1024" height="1024" /></a><br>

f/2.8, iso 2000, 1/125 and K-5</p>

<p>Hin--My copy is extremely sharp, and I couldn't ask for more optically. The combination of the 100 with the K3 is outstanding. I wasn't thrilled with the plastic filter threads, although they seem to work well enough, and the telescoping tubes have a bit more play than I would like when extended a lot for extreme close ups. Since mine is gone for a while and this is a lens that I use regularly for shooting art repro for clients, I picked up a used copy of the earlier FA version which has both a limiter and an f/stop ring. It weighs a lot more, but seems to be optically just about as good, so now I have back up.</p>

<p>The focus limiter does kind of suck that it's missing, but it does have quick shift which doesn't eliminate the need for a limiter but does offset it.</p>

<p>I've never adapted a lens, but I definitely would if I had some sort of MILC camera. However, once you adapt, you lose AF anyway, so the limiter becomes even less an issue. </p>

<p>All in all, I'm happy with the WR designation and the Limited lens like build in place of a focus limiter and aperture ring. The lens is compact and the fact it's a dedicated macro means that extra 15mm addition to my 16-85 is a worthwhile addition to the camera bag. </p>

<p>Now if Pentax would just make a UWA with WR. </p>

• 1 month later...
<p>My lens finally returned last week, after yet another delay for parts. Everything seems fine now, and there is a little less play in the tubes when it is extended for close ups. I still hope Pentax does a better job of stocking spare parts--Douglas, have you gotten your K3 back yet?</p>