100% Crop, How To Do In Photoshop CS

no need to zoom in all the way - just simply take your straight scan/digital camera file and crop.

that's it.

a 100% crop is simply a crop of a section of a photo at it's original (i.e., 100%) resolution, without any resizing/resampling, usually to show how well (or poorly) a particular camera or scanner works.

<ctrl> <alt> "zero" will push your image frame out to fill the available space in the Photoshop window, either with or height, so that 100% of the image is visible. Subsequent <ctrl> <alt> "+" key combos will further push the image frame out to fill the other direction, and increase the zoom in steps. A few of these latter key combos will bring you to be 100% zoomed in.

It's interesting to consider the difference between Kelly's language and the other answers. It seems to have become common usage for a "100% crop" to mean the whole image - essentially, an "uncropped image" and a "100% crop" would mean the same thing in that case. Nonsensical, perhaps.

if Leszek is right, which he makes sense, then how would one achieve that 1 to 1 ratio? In Photoshop CS, you can change the PPI when you crop. So how does one determine what the PPI should be at when croping (to ensure a 1 to 1 pixel ratio)?

if I have a photo of a family reunion and I want to crop so that only my head is in the image to be posted...and my camera is a 20D having resolution of 3504x2336 in raw...and in photoshop I crop so that it's 3x4 inch, then what should the ppi be in PSCS in order to achieve an image where each pixel of the image is represented by 1 pixel on the monitor?

Try this: make a duplicate of the iamge. Now find out the resolution (PPI) the image is in.

In crop mode set the crop size size to 3 x 4 inches and the resolution to the same

resolution the imagege is already in. starting at zero /zero on the rulers make a crop

selectionarea that is 3x4 in size . grab this selection area and move it till your head is in

the center of this selection area. Now crop the iamge (rememebr you are working n the

duplicate, notthe original. Now you have a 100% resolution crop at 3x4 inches. If your

head is very small i nthe iamge you may want to change from bicubic to bicubic sharper

interpolation and upsize the iamge in 110% steps till it is the size you need at that

resolution.

I found my answer by playing around with y'alls ideas. In PSCS just fill in the desired width and height and leave the resolution option blank. Then just crop and PSCS automatically crops the immage so that the number of pixels in the selection does not change resulting in a 100% crop. After you crop you can verify this by clicking on the "Front Image" button next to the clear button.

• 7 years later...

<p>http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/19322/what-is-100-crop</p>

<p>In Photoshop, pull up the original file, select "View" and select "Actual pixels." Crop the section that you want and save it. </p>

<p><strong>DO NOT RESIZE IT. </strong>Just save it.</p>

<p>DO NOT SHARPEN IT.</p>

<p>DO NOT MANIPULATE IT.</p>

<p>Just save it.</p>

<p>The phrase "100% crop" does not mean, in this context, what it meant in printing.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>