10-Pin Connector Replacement Cost?

jwallphoto

<p>The 10-pin connector on my D200 is just about belly-up. The plastic around the metal connectors is falling apart and gumming up the works so that a remote release can't make the connection. I've called Nikon and a local Nikon authorized repair shop, and neither one will even give me a ballpark estimate of the cost of replacing the connector. So I was wondering: has anyone had this done and know what it costs? I kinda figure it'll be more than I want to spend, but who knows. Thanks.</p>

<p>First of all, this is merely my wild guess, so take it with a grain of salt. But replacing the 10-pin connector requires taking the camera apart. Just labor cost will be over $100. I would figure a couple hundred dollars for an authorized shop.</p>

<p>I'm not sure about cost effective repairs, John, but am curious about how the connector deteriorated. I've used that port on my D2H many times with the Pocket Wizard and it's held up fine. Occasionally I've seen reports of premature deterioration of various types of equipment and wondered whether there was some exposure to high ozone levels or other contributing factor.</p>

<p>Regarding estimates, if I'm recalling correctly Nikon USA policy seems to require sending in the equipment first. Makes sense since they can't offer an accurate estimate without inspecting the equipment.</p>

<p>Are you using an automatic remote release with digital settings. To me, mine has quite a bit of weight, so I use a rubber band to hole it onto the tripod handle on the head. This takes the weight off the camera connection. If that is what wore it, you might do that after its repaired.<br>

You could also buy a good D200 from eBay from someone trading up.<br>

You could get a camera with low usage and not have to pay repairs.<br>

Then sell this one, to someone who has no plans to use the remote connection.<br>

Just explain, its a bit deteriorated...</p>