10 dollar camera with a shutter problem.

rdm

<p>The other week i picked up a Minolta XG7 camera with Rokkor 50mm f/1.7 lens, Minolta auto flash 132x, JC Penney auto 2x tele-converter, all in a nice big bag along with a couple filters a Yashica 50mm lens and a Yashica lens case with some end caps. All this for just 10 (actually 9.95) dollars plus 6 in shipping.<br /> I Purchased it mainly because it had a roll of film in it that was half used, and i love to buy cheep cameras with used film in it and develop the pictures and see what developed. To me its like finding a time capsule and seeing what images people captured from years ago , hopefully Decades ago. <br /> However usually its the point and click cameras that i buy and never pay more than 15 dollars including shipping. Thats my rule , unless its a camera i really want. So when i came across this Minolta i thought hey this might also serve as a back up or extra body since I already use Minolta and have lots of MD lenses. A quick goggle search tho showed that this is probably one of the least desirable Minolta cameras ever but i would still get it for the film. <br /> When i received it only 10 shots were taken so i went on a walk around my town to use up the rest and have it processed and see what images were on it.<br /> I put the batteries from my x700 in it since I didn't want to drive an hour to a camera store. I hate So much the fact that the light meter only works when the camera is in "Automatic mode" as the manual calls it , or to those of us that are in the know, aperture priority mode. It got very annoying the first couple shots when i would have to use it to get the reading and then set it to what i wanted, but then i thought what the heck ill just leave it on 'A'. <br /> But then like on the 10th shot i took the camera shutter stayed open and i had to turn it off to get the shutter to close. However when i turned it back on the next shot i took it worked fine, but it did it 2 more times before the roll was finished. I thought maybe the batteries were going, so I put new Alkaline batteries in it. Thats all i could get locally and didn't want to wait for ones to be shipped or drive an hour to a camera store. I ran a 24exp roll through it and it happed again several times. Is this a common problem or and easy fix on the XG7?</p><div>00WGwn-237607584.JPG.508fb2b8d2d68b6d0b2de5ddb456cb77.JPG</div>

<p>I had a similar issue, apparently it's a thing with those Minoltas. Go through the www.kyphoto.com repair forum archives, there are a bunch of threads with instructions there on what to do. It's a simple enough fix with taking off the base plate and adjusting the gears. Of course if you just bought it for the film it might be too much of a hassle for you.</p>

<p>Well, aside from any other "breed" issues, any old camera that has been sitting around for a long time can get stiff -- most especially a focal-plane shutter.</p>

<p>I suggest that you show us a few of the pictures (naturally), and then try working the shutter at different speeds up and down the scale to see if it won't loosen up. Sometimes a tiny (really tiny) drop of naphtha into the shutter channel can thin out stickiness. Without film in the camera you can open it up to see what is sticking and where. Mirror mechanisms can also get stiff sitting in idleness, especially if someone has done what one of our colleagues here did and lathered olive oil or some other "lubricant" all over the inside. Naphtha is a <em>solvent</em>, a thinner; 3-in-1 oil, liquid wrench, and other <em>lubricants</em> are to be <strong>avoided</strong> at all costs.</p>

<p>Thank you Al V for the info. It will not be too much of a hassle for me because I don't mind spending time fixing things, especially if I can utilize this body. I just do not want to spend more money on it.<br /> <br /> JDM you may have miss understood. The shutter opens and does not close Ii see all black in the finder because the mirror is up. The first couple times I tried to wait till it closed and the mirror dropped, but it did not , not until i turned the camera off. After that, i would just turn the camera off when i felt the shutter stayed open too long. And i know it was not meant to be a long exposure because it was always in bright daylight, and usually just after i took a shot that went normally, and the shutter speed would read 60 or higher. I know about Naphtha, i just use the zipo lighter fluid. I just want to be sure the problem is mechanical and not electrical before trying that.<br /> I would attach a picture for you to see, but it would be better if you just open up MS paint and look at a blank white screen, because that's about all i get.</p>

<p>It might be an electrical problem too, I've read that there are electrical issues with the lower end ones. Minoltas are great cameras which is why I went through all the trouble of looking up the fix for mine. Yours sounds like it could possibly be an electrical issue or some gummed up contact thingamajiggy too. I'd forward you the link to the pages I found but my comp crashed. A lot of knowledgeable people on here though, I'm sure if you keep asking they'll have an answer for you.</p>

<p>Thanks Al.<br>

Bob that would make sense , if not for the fact that the shutter stays open too and as soon as i turn the camera off both shutter closes and the mirror falls immediately. Also one other things i notice when playing with the camera when theres no film in it while also in A mode .. The leds for the light meter usually light up when i press the button half way, but this last couple times when it sticks, during the no film testing, i noticed the light meter or led's didn't go on. I'm guessing its and electrical thing, i was just curious if this is a typical problem with this camera and if there was a inexpensive fix i can do myself</p>

<p>yea , i just got them developed too .. looks like someones Christmas pictures from the 70's. The best is a photo of the toys with a Dr. J Basketball net...lol . should i post it here ?</p>

<p>go ahead, post away<br>

<br /> I obtained a Super 8 movie camera with film in it, shot the rest of the film, had it developed, the first part was someone's outdoor yard picnic with their family from long time ago, looked like 1960's<br /> a model 95 Polaroid I found, had a negative in it still of a guy at his workshop bench with tools all around, and inside the camera case was 3 pictures of a church gathering, looked like they were playing bingo or something<br>

ps- let's see your Polaroid 800 conversion if it's done now too</p>