10 Color Slide Films Tested

Back in 1967 I was barely a teenager, and photography couldn't have been further from my mind (I was a hard-core rock and roll guitarist back in those days). I didn't get bitten by the photography bug until the early 80s, but once I was, I used to pore over the ads in the back of Modern and Popular, especially Modern. It was a real treat, reading through seven pages of Spiratone ads! Now, come on, didn't you used to pore over the Spiratone ads back in the day? I even bought a few things from them, and they were excellent purchases too.

The variety of cameras that were great tools in their day, whose companies no longer exist today, kinda exemplifies how, with pretty much any industry, at its early stages, there are all sorts of enterprising entrepreneurs making a go of it. But market processes weed out or absorb the smaller firms until just a few large ones remain. The world of photography is no different from, say, motor vehicles, computers, software developers, heck, even soft drink makers. Ir's the nature of the beast. Getting to look back at an earlier time like this becomes almost an archeological experience. Heh. I wish I would have kept all the magazines I bought back when I was still relatively new to photography.

I was actually earning money by May of 1967, and was searching for lenses to supplement my Heiland Pentax H2. A few years later decided to get a Nikkormat FTn, so was avidly reading all the ads...

Thanks again and again.

Modern Photography became Popular Photography and now both are gone.

It was interesting reading that older article on the slide films. Back in the film days I shot mostly slides as I had to put together slide shows as programs.

Normally, I would order in bulk both slide film and processing mailers. My favorite slide films were Agfa and Fuji. I do miss the variety of films and cameras we had back then. Of course, today, it is much cheaper to shoot digital, although I do miss those films. Times move on and I wonder what the future holds for photography?

GR

Thanks for another view into the past!

Keppler's guide to testing is as good as it gets, even today.

In Behind the Scenes we learn that autofocus cameras are in the future, and a Pentax 2 1/4 x 2 3/4 is about to be launched. It materialized, as opposite to the rumours about Yashica and Canon.

The Minolta SRT.101 was out, and the computer symbol for Mamya was a perf card,

A Xenotar was surveying the moon for landing sites.

Those were the days indeed.

1967 is about when I got interested in photography. I had always watched my dad take photos and would hang out in the darkroom with him from time to time. I sent off 65 cents and 3 Popsicle coupons to get a plastic 120 camera (a lot like a Diana). I think the brand name was Windsor. I think '68 was more of a milestone year for me, though. My dad loaned me his Voigtlander Vitessa L to take photos at the local homecoming parade.