10.5mm DX Fisheye on full frame Nikon

jakob_norstedt_moberg

Vivek,

I am doing spherical panoramas, using an 8mm Sigma Fisheye on my D70. The 10.5mm would improve the quality quite a lot, but it requires more images to complete the full sphere. But, on a full frame camera I would still be able to complete the sphere in just three images (at least with some patching or cloning at nadir).

That's why I am interested in it.

Jakob

Jakob, Yes, now I do remember your query on the centering of the 8mm Sigma fisheye. Obviously you must be aware of the two site that give info on using diferent (old) fisheye lenses through an optical relay.

Have you considered looking for and buying some of the older fisheye Nikkors? Nikon made a variety of fisheyes covering from 170 deg to > 180 deg angle. Also, they were circular fisheyes (true fisheyes) and frame filling ones.

With the DX lens, I would expect some unusable portions on the edge of the image circle. So, I am not sure if this would be any improvement over the Sigma 8mm that you already have.

Vivek,

The circle would have unusable parts, but since three images is enough for 8mm and APS, three images would be enought for 10.5mm and full frame, as well. The benefit would be images with higher resolution.

I am just considering several options to improve the images without slowing down the workflow.

Thanks,

Jakob

I usually read photo.net with Netscape rather than IE. When I first opened Ellis' attachment, all I got was a bunch of junk like this:

E&��>t�??Y�cY�?�w�b��[����p�?��L��?�M���j��\�?h�

The "mystery" was solved when I opened it with IE.

• 5 months later...