10,000 sign Adobe CS3 European pricing petition

A petition initiated by Danielle Libine in protest at the sharp differential

between the prices Adobe charges in Europe and those charged in the USA has

garnered over 10,000 signatures. The petition can be found here:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fair-pricing-for-european-software.html

As the initiator reports in her blog, some signatories have also complained to

the European Commission that they consider Adobe's pricing falls foul of EU

competition laws:

http://web.mac.com/libine/iWeb/Site/Blog/01202662-B6F9-4509-82A9-4684A9CD7B57.html

The petition has already been the subject of several articles in the European

photographic and computer press, for example:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/adobe_defends_cs3_pricing_news_118254.html?aff=rss

Analysis of Adobe's accounts shows that the justifications claimed by them for

the higher prices are not substantiated as sufficient to justify the differentials.

The publicity may be causing some re-think by Adobe - either because sales are

running below expectations, or in a bid to head off a possible European

Commission investigation that could in the worst case lead to a fine for Adobe

amounting to 10% of worldwide turnover, or both. Adobe appear to be researching

what pricing they might be able to get away with according to these reports in

Danielle Libine's blog:

Internet based survey:

http://web.mac.com/libine/iWeb/Site/Blog/9F83A72E-EBC0-474B-8EF9-D2FB2521D00C.html

Telephone based survey:

http://web.mac.com/libine/iWeb/Site/Blog/FDE5DFA7-72DD-4F46-98D5-97F0BFC909AD.html

Adobe is (in EU terms at least) now a monopoly in its marketplace. Petitions against

monopolists don't work very well; you can easily see the (extreme) Adobe line here: "well,

they could buy someone else's product. Hah hah."

Neither does government action. Not even the EU's action against Microsoft has had any

real teeth.

If those 10,000 people decided they were going to fund or purchase a real alternative,

then they might have some collective power. But in reality, at most they are likely to look

at the features of Photoshop that they really need, and then save money by buying

Photoshop Elements or Lightroom instead.

I wish I could say anything different about myself.

Is there anything in CS3 that prevents European users simply purchasing it from the US? Are there version differences that make upgrades incompatible? Since it's not a strategic product I'd assume there are no import/export restrictions on it.

It's not like hardware which can fail and need warranty service.

"Is there anything in CS3 that prevents European users simply purchasing it from the US?"

Yes. Unless one has a server based in the US, you will be redirected to the UK site of Adobe for the download.

A ripoff.

I wish something will be done about Nikon's NEF files and their monopoly as well.

Vivek: Nikon's "monopoly" on NEF files? I don't think that qualifies in the normal sense. You can just walk away from Nikon and go to Canon, for example. In reality, Nikon has LESS of the market than Canon. And, of course, there are perfectly free tools out there that will display/convert NEFs to other formats, and Nikon GIVES you tools to do that with every camera they sell you. Not that I think anything "should be done" with Nikon about their file format, but you have total control over whether you have to use it or not: just walk away and go to their competition - and there's plenty of that. Pretty much the opposite of a monopoly.

If you don't want to buy expensive products from Adobe in order to work with NEFs, try something very inexpensive, like Bibble. Or free, like Picasa.

The main US distributors for Adobe (e.g. Ingram, Amazon) seem to have agreed not to sell Adobe products to export customers. The only way Europeans can purchase at US prices is by visiting the USA and buying from a store.

Vivek; All I know is that I have seen CS3 upgrades for the PC at office depot; an office supply chain in the usa. How about B&H the photo store as a start? I would be concerned that by some weird way there is a lockout. Whats the "price differential" anyways; what the squawk is about?

Photoshop CS3 US $649, UKP 485 (before VAT, which a professional can offset anyway), is about $960. A wedding photographer might want a version that includes web tools, costing UKP 455 ($901) for an upgrade or UKP 1175 ($2327) for the full version, compared with US prices of $499 and $1599 - a big enough difference to pay for a weekend in NY.

How does the European upgrade differ from the American one?

Maybe they have to do something different for the European customers. If so, I could see Europe as being a smaller market, and then needing to charge more for the increased overhead.

Regardless, I think it's rather silly to petition a company. If you don't like their product at the price they're offering it, it's really simple. Don't buy it. Put your money where your mouth is and develop a better and cheaper product.

Even if I had to pay $400 for the upgrade, I would. Photoshop is a steal already. Especially when you consider just how much labor goes into it.

Eric

The English, French and Spanish versions are identical to those sold in the USA (Adobe doesn't even adjust from "Color" to "Colour"). In any event, localisation costs such as translation are tiny - they are included in the cost line of ~5% of revenue that covers the cost of production according to the notes that accompany Adobe's accounts. The accounts also reveal that by taking advantage of lower rates of corporate taxation available in e.g. Ireland (which is the domicile of Adobe's principal EU operation), Adobe's profits were enhanced by over $60m in 2006 compared with what they would have been if those profits had been subjected to US corporate taxes.

From the petition:

"In the meantime, if you can, don't purchase the upgrade, it's the best pressure we can have..."

By drawing attention to the situation, the petition is likely to make many prospective purchasers think before paying up, and there are signs that it has been effective in encouraging people to at least defer any purchase. Of course, should the European Commission decide that there is at least a prima facie case against Adobe under the "abuse of a dominant position" provisions of EU competition law, that would also exert considerable pressure on them. The other method of applying pressure to Adobe is to provide evidence to the Commission that Adobe is/may be in breach of those provisions.

I suspect that if Adobe were to have charged higher European style prices in the USA, the complaints would emanate mainly from the US rather than Europe. However, you are free to volunteer that you would be prepared to pay twice the current US price - and Adobe may oblige you!

For the vast majority of photographers, Paint Shop Pro does just about everything they will need at a price of well under $100.

Full blown photoshop CS3 is way more than most photographers will ever need, but most of them don't know that because Adobe is the 800lb gorilla and their advertising and marketing is quite effective. Since "image editor" has pretty much been replaced by "Photoshop" in the photography literature, Adobe can probably charge pretty much whatever they want and people will still line up to buy it.

Adobe recently e-mailed me a questionaire, probably because I agreed to answer them when I downloaded the Beta. The price they highlighted in the questions was down somewhat on the initially quoted price.

In the questions on buying, I was able to point out I wasn't happy with the price differential and there was an "any other comments" box at the end for another stab.

If anyone in the EU gets the chance to fill in the questionaire, make a point of doing so and of pointing out your displeasure at the pricing policy.

P

I'm living in Italy.

I tryed to buy the ENGLISH version of Photoshop.

The U.S.A. price on-line is $. 649

The italian on-line price for the english version is ?. 826,80 that is $. 1.106,84

Without reasons!

And the same rapport exist for the others Adobe's products.

And I cannot order the program from the U.S.A. store becose it send me automatically to te italian store.

And if I buy the program directly in U.S.A., I cannot make the upgrades, and the license is not considered "valid" in Italy.

I will never buy Adobe's products!

I signed on the petition, but I believe it will not have solution.

• 4 months later...