1 Year Ago Today - 1 Year From Now...

d_f11

<p>...I shot my last rolls of Big K, ran down the street to UPS, caught last delivery to Parsons. 1 year from now, I'm hoping to be somewhat more proficient with B&W film. I'm also hoping there's still a few good films left. Any other "hipsters" here on photo.net, please share your lives/thoughts/predictions/etc. for the new year.</p>

<p>For the third year in a row, THIS will finally be the year that</p>

<ul>

<li>the EVIL cameras will come to dominate the field</li>

<li>film will finally die</li>

<li>film will be rediscovered and digital photography will pass away</li>

</ul>

<p>Oh, and a year from now, Franco will still be dead. To astonishment in the Mac community, so will Steve Jobs.</p>

<p>Mirrorless will get bigger this year after Canon gets into the fray. It will be a stunning technical tour-de-force that will leave many other cameras withering on the mirrorless vine.</p>

<p>I'll still be shooting B&W film in my 1950's rangefinders and shaking it up in the bathroom in those little stainless steel cans. Hey, does that make me a Hipster? Or just an old fart?</p>

<p>Last year at this time, I did my first serious series of self portraits. This year, I did another. And right now, I'm thinking I'll do another next year. Not sure what gear it will be with. Probably will be digital. I'm kind of a hipster, an old fart, and resurrecting myself all at the same time.</p>
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>A year from now I'll be into Lomotilography, a special camera that slows the user down to only one shot per day. It's the cure for digital diarrhea. And I'll be shooting and then eating the negatives from Vionex 400 (formerly T-Max 400), the first edible film gelatin using no animal product, or silver or sensitizing dyes. You've probably never heard of it.</p>

<p>One year from now:<br>

- Some Chinese company will be producing B&W and Color films. They will be selling new film cameras too<br>

- Canon will have "mirror less" cameras that are much better in all aspects than the Sony's, Panasonic's, Samsung's, Pentax's, Nikon's. And Canon still keeps their DSLRs as their Pro line, their "mirror less" only replaces the G12 series (maybe)<br>

- Sony will not produce any DSLRs anymore<br>

- Pentax will concentrate on the MF DSLRs market<br>

- Samsung will compete with Nikon DSLRs<br>

- Sigma will make lenses for other "mirror less" like the NEX series<br>

- Canon 1Ds V will be the top (and of course, it is a DSLR)<br>

- Kodak and Leica will collaborate to produce some thing great<br>

- Olympus may quit the camera business</p>

<p>One year ago, I had 12500 images in Lightroom waiting for culling, rating, enhancement and entering metadata.<br>

Today, I had 8200 images in Lightroom waiting for culling, rating, enhancement and entering metadata.<br>

In one year, I will still have thousands of images in Lightroom waiting for culling, rating, enhancement and entering metadata.<br>

Not the same images, though..... ;)</p>

This is as good a time and place as any to announce that I have accomplished (or will have by Dec. 31) my 2011 New Year's resolution. It is the first time in my life I have accomplished this, and I'm very proud of myself. I made the same resolution in 2010 and failed to achieve it. The resolution? To shoot no film this year. This was difficult for someone who has been a photographer on one level or another since 1969, but it's a new era for me -- 100 percent digital and staying that way. I sold all of my film gear and resisted the urge to buy bargain-priced replacements. I am weaned, but like Wouter, no hipster.

<p>I only expect minor changes for the next year. I will continue to shoot digital and film. I will wait for my B&H and my Freestyle catalogs to see what is available on the film front.</p>

<p>I only wish to shoot more and continue to enjoy photography. Well that and be awarded Photo Net's Hipster Doofus icon.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Oh Will, but I do shoot film, just not enough to be hip. In 2012 I'll try to shoot more film, though. But I'm not going to proclaim that shows that "film is back and digital on its return". Mostly because I'll also try to shoot more with my digital. So, my prediction: also in 2012, I won't be a hipster.<br>

Too bad.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>We're all supposed to be dead after 12/21/2012.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>"Time" created a list of the top 10 end-of-the-world prophecies. The harbingers of doom and gloom are 0-9 so far. </p>

<h1><a href="http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2072678_2072683_2072697,00.html">Top 10 End-of-the-World Prophecies</a></h1>

<p>If you believed the doomsayers, what kind of pictures would you be taking? If I believed them (I don't) I would probably work more on people pictures are less on landscape. </p>

<p><br />I haven't processed film this year. I will shoot film next year but will probably quit when I can't get C41 processed at the drugstore. <br>

I'm not nostalgic about Kodak, or film, or the smell of fixer. I've given away or sold (i.e. given away) all but one film camera and will likely give it away with a few hundred feet of TX, some film loaders, sage advice and encouraging words to some young hipster riding a Vespa.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you believed the doomsayers, what kind of pictures would you be taking? If I believed them (I don't) I would probably work more on people pictures are less on landscape.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Interesting point, not that the world is going to end in 2012. One thing that will happen this time next year is that the world will be just a little bit different -- and different still in another year. Landscapes will probably look pretty much the same. Sunsets will be almost identical, as will flowers. But people will be different. Cultures will be different. Our world will be different. In fact things might change faster and more dramatically than any of us imagine. Just look at all the protests around the world, many of which lead to revolutions. Our governments, all over the world, are changing beneath our feet, and social change is in the air. This realization has greatly changed my photography. I now take more time to photograph things that are common now, but which may become uncommon years from now. People are a large part of what I photograph, but our culture at this time in our history is a much bigger part. After doing photography for over four decades, I've let too much change slip past me without the dignity of a few photographs to remember it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I now take more time to photograph things that are common now, but which may become uncommon years from now</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Isn't it fun how we find a picture no more than a decade old interesting for all the striking changes? All the goats', shaved heads, tats', cell phones... ! A good thing for stock photographers. </p>

<p>One year from now either Obama is reelected or a new President Romney is ready to take office. 50/50 chance on either, and 99% chance it's Romney or Obama. Shouldn't affect photography at all though.</p>

<p>I think for sure Canon will have at least two major DSLRs upgraded, including the long-awaited 5D Mk III. I'll resolve to get out out even more, stop & smell the roses and improve my work.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I've let too much change slip past me without the dignity of a few photographs to remember it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hear here! That's how the '80s were for me -- largely lost. Happy NEW YEAR!</p>