1 camera vs 2 camera shooting

danzel_c

<p>i currently shoot with two 40D's, one assembled with a 17-55 2.8 and the other with a 85 1.8 or 70-200 2.8. and the 40D w/17-55 is on a flash bracket most of the day. carrying two cameras (flash bracket in hand, second camera on shoulder) is manageable, but i am wondering what others are doing to manage their equipment. 1 camera shooters - how do you keep your other key lenses near you (ex. belt pouches, shoulder bag, etc)? and how do you keep your sensor from getting dirty from all the lens switching? 2 camera shooters - anyone keep their second camera stuffed in shoulder bag such as the think tank urban design 35, assembled with a lens and ready to go?</p>

<p>I basically shoot with one camera most of the time. Sometimes I will sling a Leica M over my shoulder. But the second camera is always at the ready ... I just do not carry it around with me while shooting. I simply anticipate what type of shooting I am about to do and select the lens I want for that. I do use two lenses during the first dance ... a wide angle zoom and a 85/1.4. </p>

<p>I do have a Think Tank Urban Disguise bag that I'll use when going out on a golf course, or into a house for getting ready shots ... basically places where the rest of my gear is not readily available. That bag is like "a Volkswagen with clowns pouring out of it" ... it is simply amazing how many cameras and lenses it will hold for its small size.</p>

<p>Swapping lenses has not been an issue for all the years that I have done it this way. Just take some care and change swiftly. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I shoot with one camera (Canon 5D) and normally carry with me three lens (16-35L, 70-200IS 2.8 L, and 50 1.2 L) . I have found over time that I can cover any situation with this set up. I use the ThinkTank belt system and have found it to work very well. I also have on my belt, Canon battery pack for my 580 EX II flash, spare memory cards and batteries, lens cloth, and small note pad/pen. The belt and bags are of good quality and quite comfortable to ware. My normal time at a wedding with the belt system on is about 8 hours. I had a client send me the below photos from a wedding last month. You can see the belt system pretty good in the two photos. </p>

<div>00Tphw-150725584.JPG.db177eeba3483cde1801db1311cc2e2c.JPG</div>

<p>I'm kind of a minimalist when it comes to gear. I'm primarily a one-camera shooter. I shoot with a Nikon D-700, but, interestingly enough, my back-up camera is a D-40X. I never mix the two as the images from the 40X look tremendously different...so it is truly a back-up (oh, poo...mt D-700 isn't working) camera.</p>

<p>But I also shoot primes, so I need access to wide or tele lenses at my beck and call. I have an assistant who serves wonderfully in this respect, but also find an accessory belt is a useful thing to have for particularly mish-mash weddings in which I can't accurately plan and execute my next shots. <br>

Part of being prepared is knowing as much as you can know about your event, and being able to anticipate shots and what you might need for them.</p>

<p>So, yeah...knowledge and an accessory bag/belt. :-)</p>

<p>I use one camera and take my wife as my second shooter and assistant. I do take a bag with longer lenses but hardly ever need to use them so leave it nearby where it is safe just in case. I rarely even carry spare batteries with me but keep an eye on the charge remaining and change when convenient to the situation. I have on occassion had to resort to nicking the flash of my wifes camera and send her scurrying for batteries but not often.</p>

<p>i tried the belt system a few times and the big pouches on the side just kept bumping into people. i'll probably have it on craigslist in the next few days. i'm anxious to try out the think tank urban disguise bag (thanks for the correction mark!).</p>

<p>I envy those that can shoot with one camera! My staple set up is a 17-50 on one body and something like the Sigma 50-150 (lighter than the 70-200's) on the 2nd. For on location shooting, I also carry a Boda bag that has everything I might need (cards, lens pens, batteries, etc) as well as my fisheye, Tokina 11-16, some sort of 105, and a 70-300 (consumer lens, yes, but handy on occasion). I use the Black Rapid straps with the connector as the strap system. For places like a reception hall, I don't carry the Boda bag, but will keep Fisheye and the 11-16 with me. I also set up off-camera lighting so that with one body I am not using any on-camera flash, just a PW on the hot shoe.</p>

<p>Two assistants (one's my husband) - three cameras. One loaded with black and white - the other two... 1 is 70-200 and the other is either fixed 1/4 or wide angle or 35-70 - those I switch out as needed. </p>

<p>I use two cameras at once and still use the strap I adapted, described in the following.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/0093Mb">http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/0093Mb</a></p>

<p>The concept is similar to the Black Rapid and Cameraslingers straps that have become popular recently. The difference is, I use my strap close to the armpit, so the cameras are not hanging down past the hip, as in David's image. And, I use a light 40D on the strap, with a flash attached, but no bracket or anything. You cannot attach a heavy camera with a 70-200mm on my strap. I wouldn't want to, anyway, since I don't use that zoom, and I just don't have the physical 'real estate' to make this a comfortable thing. One of the problems with the Cameraslinger type strap is that the cameras swing at the bottom of the strap, so when you bend over, they fall forward.</p>

<p>I also have worn a belt, heavily populated and not heavily populated. I have used a small shoulder bag forever, along with a very small pouch that held my wallet, meter and CF cards. When I had the heavily populated belt, I felt as you did--constricted, couldn't really sit down comfortably without the pouches hitting me in the chest. I am a small person. So I took to not wearing the belt, and just recently introduced it again, but without anything on it except to have a place to hook my external battery pack and to clip one end of my hanging camera (on the strap) to hold it in place when I'm not actively shooting with it.</p>

<p>As for bags, the popular lens bags (as opposed to regular bags to hold bodies, etc.) are the Shootsac, Boda Bag and those Think Tank ones. I have used my Lowepro Stealth 100 for years, and I like it a lot. I kept it small, shallow, and modular. The former two features are because I want to keep the bag as small as possible but still be able to place the bag on a surface and have it sit upright so I can work out of it without it flopping over. I can work out of it still on my shoulder too. I don't use those tele zooms, so all my lenses fit in the depth of the shallow bag without getting lost in the bottom. The bag also has lots of straps to attach other pouches, etc. Sometimes I change things around to suit the wedding.</p>

<p>Like you, when the belt was heavily populated, I found it hard to maneuver between people and especially tables at receptions. The bag caused problems too. Then I realized that it was not necessarily the items but my physical features that caused the problems. I am short, so my hips are right at chair/shoulder level of people sitting. So now, I have nothing on the belt save my battery pack, which is slim, and when I walk between tables, I take the shoulder bag off my shoulder and hold it by the strap so it is low to the ground. This way, I can slip between tables, no problem. You don't want to do anything that would cause you to leave your camera bag sitting elsewhere, due to possible theft.</p>

<p>One thing that might be interesting is the Kinesis open bottomed pouch for those people that use the 70-200mm lens.</p>

<p>You should analyze your gear and shooting method before making decisions about bags and belts, etc., as well as your physical self. This stuff gets expensive.</p>

<p>Forgot to say that when I use two cameras, the one is under my left arm on the strap, and the main camera is around my neck, on a regular camera strap. I learned to use the regular camera strap when I first started. My mentor told me to always use the strap, for safety, so I did. Doesn't take long to get used to it.</p>

<p>I'm always shooting one camera at a time and generally have my extra camera setup and my bag based nearby. During the ceremony it's most often in the back rear pew and I've got a long lens and wide angle in each pocket on my tux or jacket. I would never wear the gunslinger-looking straps or the pack-mule belt during a ceremony. At the reception, I also tend to have my bag and spare camera based near the DJ booth so it's close by. If I were making a trip to a local park, I'll often just take one setup and leave the rest of the stuff in the car. </p>

<p>I use two DSLR cameras, but I am an extreme minimalist: I have one around my neck on a long strap and the other (my main working camera) is on a strap around my right wrist - I also have leather wrist straps made to suit that.<br>

I will swap those camera positions if there is a section where the cameras change roles - and the neck slung body, is to become the main working camera - at a Wedding that happens rarely. <br>

I carry usually two other lenses: one in each of my coat's side pockets. Hood on both lens caps off. One does not need to think too long to realize I do not work with a 70 to 200 all that much :)<br>

I do not have problems changing lenses - there is a thread on that somewhere - and I agree with comments made by Marc and previously on other threads by David Schilling - anticipation is a key factor. There is usually always enough time to have the correct lens selected for use. <br>

If I am at a formal Function (Dinner Suit - "Tux" for you US guys) there is no coat pocket, so I work two cameras only with the spare lenses in my camera bag close to me, but on the floor.<br>

I do not wear camera belts or carry back pack style bags on me, whilst working any Function like a Wedding – it does not suit my technique, my rapport, and I find it extremely limiting, physically but I have tried it: and speaking personally, I do not like the “look” of it, anyway.<br>

When I shot film I carried three (135 format) cameras – the third was slung over my left shoulder on a long strap – and that meant I only carried one extra lens in my pocket – the other pocket had film canisters.<br>

I sometimes work with a Photographer’s Assistant (NOT an Assistant Photographer) – in this case I still carry two DSLR’s, but they get to carry a bag full of goodies. <br>

WW </p>

<p>I carry two cameras all the time one wide angle and one with either and 85mm or 80-200 on it. I use a Lowe Pro lens case on my belt it's a long case and will hold just about any lens I need to toss in there. With two cameras and 3 lenses and flashes on both bodies you can tackle just about any situation.</p>

<p>I have one camera and three lens:<br>

Canon 50d, 10-20,24-70,70-200<br>

I am going to make plan for buying second camera ( full frame )and I want to know, how second camera is important in wedding business and another question, how Full frame is important in this type of photography?</p>

<p>Best regards</p>

<p>I use two cameras at the ceremony - then one with the reception - one on my arm and one in my hand with shootsac with extra lenses. it's a very easy set up for me - then reception drop down to 1 camera and shoot sac... makes my life easy - I appreciate those who could have all that stuff haning off of you...</p>

<p>Two cameras, How much is it necessary for wedding ?<br>

specially full frame camera, I said before, I have 50D so Is it important to have full frame for wedding ?</p>

<p>Best regards</p>

<p>F.N. ... if one camera fails (and you have only one camera!) then how would you plan on finishing the photography at a wedding you are hired to photograph? Same goes for all your other equipment.</p>

<p>Full frame is not necessary but it gives you more options and makes full use of your lenses' abilities.</p>

<p>That's a short version for starters.</p>

<p>Thanks dear <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=991915">William</a><br>

So you meant, It's better that I set my 50D as Backup camera and buy Full frame as First camera for wedding?<br>

could you give me some vision about more option with Full Frame?<br>

and what's your Opinion about 5d MKII ? that is ok for me and my equipment that I mentioned above?</p>

<p>Best regards</p>

<p>Yes, use the 50d as a back up <strong>or</strong> use it as a second camera with one of your other lenses on it ... the 70-200 will work nicely on a smaller sensor and give you a bit more reach because of the smaller sensor.</p>

<p>You merely have to be certain that all the lenses you have will fit on both cameras F.N. if that's important to you. Not all lenses fit on every camera. Do a google for more information.</p>

<p>The lenses you have cover a good range.</p>

<p>The 5dMKII is a very nice full frame camera; I don't have one but it's on my shopping list. I enjoy my Canon 5d a great deal right now.</p>

<p>The full frame sensor gets a larger view i.e. the maximum view possible: it's "full frame". For example: if I put my 15mm fisheye lens on a crop sensor camera I will not get the full effect of the fisheye because the crop sensor camera will not capture all the way to the edges and eliminates some of the potential of that particular lens.</p>

<p>When the fisheye is placed on a Full Frame camera the sensor will capture the full view that the lens offers and creates a dynamic photo where as the fisheye on a crop sensor will have the edges "trimmed" because the sensor is smaller and it eliminates the edges.</p>

<p><strong><em>Two cameras, How much is it necessary for wedding ? specially full frame camera, I said before, I have 50D so Is it important to have full frame for wedding ?</em></strong><br>

<br>

For how I work, both are critical i.e. two cameras and one camera being “full Frame”.<br>

My Wedding kit is designed exploit the FoV of APS-C and 135 format DSLR with a minimum carriage of lenses providing maximum fallback and redundancy, should any one piece of equipment fail.<br>

<br>

WW </p>

<p>Thanks for your advice<br>

Base on your ideas and other posts, I think, I have to buy second camera before I'm going to get started my first wedding photography.</p>

<p>Best regards</p>

<p>I usually take everything I own. I always have two cameras on me and a third on my wife's shoulder and a fourth in the car. Usually I'll have the three camera in use with a 17-40, 24-70 and a 70-200(when did I become so zoom depedendent?) My cameras include two 20d's(still my favorite color-wise), a 30d and a 40d. I take so much just in case I have some type of catastrophic camera failure. I do see any purpose of having a camera and not having it available if needed.<br>

The reason I have so many cameras is that my primary job is being a photographer for a daily newspaper. I use two cameras for that purpose, one belonging to the paper and the other belongs to me. I have two cameras that I solely use for weddings and portrait work. The two work cameras take more abuse from getting in and out of my trunk 8-10 times per day. My work 20d looks like a dog but keeps on shooting. I must have over half a million frames on it. Sorry not sure why I went so far off topic.</p>