branded TC. Thus, I've fairly narrowed down my choices to the $170

Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 1.4X TC and the $175 Tamron 1.4X SP Pro. The

Tamron specifies that it will work on AFS lenses (which I fully

intend to have in the future), but will only work on lenses with

maximum aperture of f2.8 or large (not a problem now, but it isn't

inconcievable that my next lens would be a 300 f/4 and I'd like the

TC to be compatible). The Kenko doesn't specify if it will work with

AFS.

So, can anyone tell me, 1) will the Kenko work with the AFS lenses, 2)

In my situation (i.e. current lens, future plans for AFS lenses), and

need for the best optics of the two if they're otherwise equal, which

would you pick/suggest and why.

I also wouldn't mind a little tutorial on the differences b/w the

Nikon versions of the TCs i.e A vs. B vs. E vs. EII and selecting

those for maximum compatibility just in case I am forced into buying

one of those.

Thanks.

--evan

Dang, as complete as I try to be I always forget something....

I'm shooting with a Nikon F5 primarily and would want to preserve 3D matrix metering capability (I think the Kenko would do that, but don't know about the Tamron).

Also, when I searched this subject I found one mention of a Sigma 1.4X Pro TC, but don't see it listed on B&H--is that available and is it a worth while consideration?

Sorry for the broken-up post.

--evan

Don't know about the Sigma, but the Kenko and Tamron PRO TCs are the same thing with different labels. Kenko makes these, and they work GREAT with the 80-200. See the extensive review at

http://www.nikonlinks.com/lenstest.html

I have the Kenko units (1.4 AND 2.0) and I have tried them with the 80-200 and my results duplicate the reviewer's. Kenko seems to specialize in making affordable quality aftermarket gear for Nikon.

Given the fact that Nikon's TCs for lenses other than "S" lenses represent 30-year-old technology (or more), and that they've never actually made TCs for AF bodies and lenses, I think the word is Kenko.

One sleeper in this mix is the Nikkor TC16A, which was made to provide some AF capability for MF lenses in the early days of AF. It is sharp, works with most Nikon AF bodies, and does give limited AF. It will AF from close focus to infinity with wide-angle lenses, but its AF range shortens the longer the lens you use. With Tele lenses, you manually focus to approximate sharp focus, then let the TC 16A sharpen things up. Its AF ability is engaged when you press the shutter button as you would if you had an AF lens on the body.

Evan, I have the Kenko 1.4 PRO and use it with both my 80-200 f/2.8 (non-AFS) and 300 f/4 AFS...no issues and am pleased with the results. The selection concern for me was that while Nikon offers a TC for AFS...it only supports AFS focusing and their older TC-14 does not preserve AF for either (or 3D matrix metering). I try to only use a TC sparingly (as they all degrade image to some extent) so could not justify sinking too much cash into one. I think the Kenko would be a good interim solution for you.

The Kenko works great with that lens. I use that combo frequently.

There are two versions of the PRO-300. You want the gray version that is labeled "N-AFs". There is a black version that just says "N-AF".

The gray version has 10 contacts on the lens side of the converter, and contains the AF-S "chip". The AF-S chip tells a Nikon lens "you're on a 1.4x converter". The lens then does two things. First, it tells the camera "hey, I'm a 112-280 f4.0 zoom, not an 80-200 f2.8". This causes matrix metering to work properly, and puts the "correct" f stop on the camera's display, the "Photo Secretary" info for your F5, and the EXIF headers for the digital D100 and D1x. Second, and more important, it focuses a little slower (because the decreased depth of field and decreased contrast make focusing touchier) so focus is more accurate, with less hunting.

This is important for 1.4x converters, and even more so for 2x converters, where the 2 full stop change in light plays havoc with AF and matrix metering.

Ciao!

Joe

Just got my new TC yesterday. Although I have not taken actual photos with it yet I wanted to give an inital report which I'll update once I've done some testing.

Anyway, for those that didn't follow the previous thread, I had inquired about compatibility of the Kenko/Tamron Pro 1.4X Teleconverter with the Nikkor 80-200/2.8 AF-D (non-AFS, new version with collar) on an F5. Most feedback was pretty positive so I went ahead an purchased.

The TC is gray in color (slight drawback to my all-black gear, not an issue for me really). One poster on another forum told me that the gray TC had 10 contacts on each side and would report back to the camera that it was in use and would show the actual aperture on the LCD. Well, I have the gray and there are 10 contacts on the lens side, but only 8 on the camera side and the aperture is not correctly reported on the LCD, but metering seems to be accurate.

I must say that I am VERY please with the AF speed of this combination. Although it is slightly slower with the TC than without it is almost not noticable. There is no hunting even in dim indoor light and lock-on is accurate and quick. Even with rapid changes from near to far and back to near the AF responded perfectly. I did not test on moving subjects. I only used single servo and no dynamic AF for my inital tests. The viewfinder image was bright, I wouldn't have known that the TC was even on. Both of those factors are very pleasing to me.

My old Tamron, consumer grade, 2X TC yeilds an almost unusable AF that hunts so much as to necessitate shutting off AF completely. The viewfinder was dim and showed some spiderweb effect (not sure what that's from).

I'm heading to Colorado next week for some skiing but usually I take the camera out one day to photograph the nuts on the half-pipes and slope-style courses and I'll put that combo to the test there, should be more of a challenge with moving subjects.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

<p>Evan, where did you buy your Kenko converter from? B&H shows only a black version and no visible markings in the product photo. <br>

<a href="../photodb/user?user_id=587835">Joseph Wisniewski</a> 's recomendation to buy the "gray" version with the marking N-AFs is giving me cause for concern.<br>

Does your model have either N-AF or N-AFs designations?<br>

Im about to make this purchase and had the same issue as you. I came "this close" to buying the Nikon TC-17e II.<br>

Does your sample retain full AF as well as metering?<br>

Any help would be greatly appreciated.<br>

Chris</p>