"1" & "2" Ratings appear as "3"

m_barbu1

Buried somewhere in all the postings on forums about ratings on this site is some kind of explanation why ratings of 1 and 2 are no longer in use, even though you can rate photographs with those numbers. I can't remember the explanation, where it is, or anything else about it.<p>

But the bottom line is that you can rate 1 or 2 and it won't show up on the photos, but it will show up in your ratings on your own page.<p>

And let's face it, does <i>any</i> photograph <i>really</i> deserve a rating of 1? I mean...that's really harsh, don't you think?

Well, I have actually seen a couple of photos that should have received a "1" but didn't (I only rate a photo if I can give an objective critique). The reason is that the photos were nude and nude photos never receive an accurate, or should I say, objective rating, in my opinion. The key word here is, objective. <P> You can find the reasons to your question in the archives, I read it a couple of months ago and truthfully, just a bunch of double talk. I would say that it's a way to dampen the effects or retaliation with ratings. If the ratings went to 10 then neutralizing at 3 wouldn't be necessary but with a 7 point system it is. Think about it, if a 4.5 in an average/good rating then there's only 2.5 points up to 7. However, there's 3.5 points down to 1. A couple of 1's have much more weight than a couple of 7's.<P> There are folks in PN with a much more eloquent and accurate explanation.

<p><i>Buried somewhere in all the postings on forums about ratings on this site is some kind of explanation why ratings of 1 and 2 are no longer in use...</i></p>

OK, thanks. I tried searching with Google, but was unable to find it.

<p><i>And let's face it, does any photograph really deserve a rating of 1? I mean...that's really harsh, don't you think?</i></p>

Not if it genuinely merits it. What if the "photo" that is uploaded is a solid color (not even a gradient)? How pleasing or original is that?

<I>"And let's face it, does any photograph really deserve a rating of 1? I mean...that's really harsh, don't you think?"</I>

<br>

<br>

- I think Yes, for ex. last year I saw a "photo" which was... white square. I doubt if it really was a photo, it could have been made in simple graphic program in five seconds. So, give 1/1 or ignore? I'm still not sure.

"does any photograph really deserve a rating of 1?"<p>

I thought my experimental photo showing a piece of black cardboard directly on top of a SMaL imager deserved a 1 for aesthetics and a 7 for originality. But when I loaded it 21 months ago I posted a request for double ones in this forum resulting in abuse complaints and a deleted thread.<p>

The six 3,3 ratings are probably actually double ones.

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/ratings-breakdown?photo_id=3021123">Exteme Macro"</a>