Casual Photo Conversations

A place to discuss things that do not seem belong anywhere else!  Please observe the posted rules.

Please post any site related matters to the Help board by clicking on this link.

16,555 topics in this forum

• 0 replies
    • 8.1k views
    • 26 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 0 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 1.6k views
    • 8 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 19 replies
    • 14 replies
    • 2 replies
  1. Northern Lights 2023

• 5 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 64 replies
    • 3.5k views
    • 9 replies
  2. early works

• 10 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 18 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 8 replies
  3. FotoFora

• 23 replies
    • 1.3k views
    • 5 replies
    • 4 replies
  4. Do you regret...

• 5 replies

• Recent Gallery Images

• Recent Forum Wide Posts

• A friend of mine just inherited her grandad’s camera. It’s a Minolta 7000 Maxxum 35mm. Looks to me like a later SLR film camera?  she got I think 2 lenses with it,    Anyway this looks like it has a bunch of electronics. Im wondering if anyone is familiar with this model? If so can you please explain any nuances or offer tips & suggestions about using it?    Shes not a noob to photography but is new to manual film cameras. Asked her send pic of the lenses as well, haven’t gotten them yet. The lens shown seems to be a Sigma zoom of some sort tho.    Thanks everyone! Tom      
    • I finally processed and scanned some photos from our New Zealand trip. These few are from Tutukaka on the North Island. I only brought the humble Nikon EM with a 50/3.5 macro lens, very light and capable travel combo. Film was Fujifilm C200 (Japan version), Bellini C41 home processed. Sunset towards Tutukaka harbor Rainbow over Pacific Ocean Tutukaka harbor right after sunset  
    • Ilkka, I have both the Z 100-400 and 400mm/4.5. Those two lenses serve somewhat different purposes and I travel with both so that I have some tele backup, in case one lens fails, e.g. if I drop it. For example, for my youth orchestra coverage, I would use the 100-400 on one camera to focus the video on a concerto soloist, and I use the 400mm/f4.5 for still images. Sometimes I use the 24-200 for that purpose as its wide zoom range often gives me the exact crop. But I prefer to have f5.6 from the 100-400 than f6.3 from the 24-200. For wide shots, I need the depth of field so that f5.6, f8 is not really an issue, and somewhat lower optical quality is a non-issue for video.
    • Recall that Nikon's Nikkor 28-75mm/f2.8 in the Z mount is essentially version 1 (G1) of the Tamron lens, at least the optics seems identical, but when Nikon introduced that lens two years ago, Tamron already had a G2 version for Sony E, with improved optics. Now Tamron is making the G2 available in the Nikon Z mount, but this one carries Tamron's brand name, not Nikkor as in the previous Z version. The new Tamron lens is $999 in the US. But the Sony version is $899 and currently with $100 off so that it is essentially $1000 for Nikon and $800 for Sony for the time being. Perhaps there will be discounts down the road. https://www.tamron.com/global/consumer/lenses/a063/