Nikon N8008s - at the Police Pace

sadanand

<p>Today I attended Howard county Police Pace Race at Centennial Park in Columbia, MD. This event includes both a 5K and a 1-mile fun run, with proceeds going to the Howard County Police Foundation’s scholarship programs, including educational funds for children of fallen officers.Also included display of Howard County police equipment including helicopter, police cars, police motorcycles and more.<br /><br />I used Nikon N8008s - a popular AF camera of the 1980s. Agreed its AF is slow and can be noisy but still gets the job done. Great viewfinder and uses AA cells. Film used is from Riteaid and developed at the local Target</p>

<div>00ZJnE-397717584.JPG.a79c51b6f5fdadadcb4a18a913ca6e83.JPG</div>

<p>Some nice images, Sandanand! I like numbers 1, 2, and 4, especially.</p>

<p>Although I've owned and still regularly shoot similar models from that era, I never owned that one. But dreamed about it when it was current, and still remember the ads! As far as I'm concerned, those cameras have absolutely everything I need for that kind of photography. When I need mirror lock up for some macro nature work, out comes my F2. But that's a great machine, and I wish you much fun and luck with it!</p>

<p>I recently picked up an n8008s in EXC condition on the auction site for $25.00, a real bargain when you consider how much technology the n8008s has in it. I too agree that the AF is pretty dismal, but the viewfinder is superb, and the metering second to none. Nice grip and controls too. I use it as a second AF body alongside my F100, though I also enjoy using my small and lightweight FE2 when I don't need AF or just want to shoot with manual focus primes. </p>

<p>Thank you all for your comments<br /><br />Jeff Z:Agreed...For macro work 8008s may not be ideal.<br />Craig Shearman: Small world indeed... i often hang around Centennial park.<br />Dave Lee: You have neatly summed-up the N8008s features. Viewfinder is damn good (along with F3/OM1N/OM2N)and it takes manual lenses too.</p>

<p>Thank you all for your comments<br /><br />Jeff Z:Agreed...For macro work 8008s may not be ideal.<br />Craig Shearman: Small world indeed... i often hang around Centennial park.<br />Dave Lee: You have neatly summed-up the N8008s features. Viewfinder is damn good (along with F3/OM1N/OM2N)and it takes manual lenses too.</p>

<p>I decided a long time ago to write off those N8008 and similar era. I got all the later N75, N80, N90 models and of those I love the N75 for being so feather light and I can use my G lenses on it too for fun.</p>

<p>I will get an N8008 and give it a whirl, certainly will not be out much money (similar to the above models I got.....one N75 I got was actually new in the box about a year ago) so I will go on a quest to find one. So the actual series was N5005, N6006 and N8008, is that right?</p>

<p>Bob E.</p>

<p>The 8008s , is the greatest manual focusing AF camera Nikon ever made IMHO. It's AF is too slow to be considered. But with AI glass, and it's great metering system, these cameras are amazing picture taking machines. Built in MD, power rewind, advanced flash, multi mode metering and utilizes AA batts.</p>

<p>I shot a pair at weddings in the final film years. And they proved to be reliable and sturdy cameras. I then shot them on vacation with lots of chrome film. And the slides were all perfectly exposed. Great cameras.</p>

<p>I'm with Mr Levine on this one.<br>

Except I ain't so sure about ' Final Film '.<br>

I recently sold 50 rolls of 120 B&W to a photography tutor - he has 50 pupils in his class : using Mamiya RZ's.<br>

And,if the AF is faster than me, it's fast enough for me.<br>

You can buy a very tidy 8008s here for about US$40.00 ,on a good day.</p>

<p>I don't do a lot of street photography, but my N8008s is my chosen camera body for black & white street. I like to shoot with a few AI or AIS primes. The viewfinder is great for focusing, and the cw & spot metering are right on. The motor wind is handy for things like moving monorail trains. These hand-held shots are with 3200 B&W film.</p><div>00ZQPf-404129584.jpg.91d69553a3cc34c97b9bfbaa14318fa5.jpg</div>

• 2 years later...