Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 Ais focus ring grease too stiff:

studio460

<p>I bought a used Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 Ais (serial no. 494773), I think, around 2010 (which then appeared in excellent cosmetic condition). I don't recall the focus ring being so stiff when I first received it, but now that I'm attempting to use it for cine applications, I've found that the focus-ring grease has stiffened up considerably. It moves by hand, but it's too stiff to operate using a follow-focus rig. I bought a number of Ais lenses at about the same time, and all those lenses' focus rings are fine.</p>

<p>Has anyone had Nikon re-grease a lens and recall about much this costs? Also, does anyone recall Nikon's minimum inspection fee? I can easily use my AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D instead on my cine rig, so it's not a huge deal if too costly to repair. I suppose the 1:1 magnification capability of the 60mm 'D' lens puts it in favor over the 1:2 ratio of the 55mm Ais lens for versatility, but does anyone know of any other notable performance differences between the Micro-Nikkor 55mm Ais and Micro-Nikkor 60mm 'D' (both lenses' descriptions claim CRC). Thanks in advance for any replies.</p>

<p>I had the same experience with my 55mm f2.8 Micro. In my case along with the stiffer focusing was dirty, cloudy lens elements. I had a CLA done to the lens about 3 years ago that cost as I remember about $62.00. The work was done by Professional Photographic Repair on Raytheon Rd. In San Diego. 858-277-3700. They not only cleaned the lens elements, they did the obvious lubrication of the focus collar, but also adjusted to free up the focus tension. I didn't know that focus tension is actually adjustable. So its not just a matter of dried out grease. Today the 55mm Micro is a go to lens and man its sharp!</p>

<p>Hey, thanks for the quick reply! At only $62, that sounds like a deal! Thanks a lot! Has anyone had a CLA done on any of their lenses at Nikon, Los Angeles?</p>

<p>Speaking of macros, I had Nikon repair my AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G (purchased new from B+H). It would lose AF communication with the body intermittently (AF just went "dead"). They repaired it, and when I picked it up, it continued to do this right in front of the repair guy. They "repaired" it again ("repairing" something different, I assume), and to this day, it still loses communication with the body (tested on various bodies).</p>

<p>The Ais Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8 has a long focus helicoid AND a close range correction helicoid. There is a lot of surface area on all of these helicoid threads, so if the grease dries out and stiffens the least little bit with age, the focusing action can get very, very stiff indeed. I remember servicing one where it was so stiff the focus was essentially locked and solvent was needed to free it up enough to separate the assemblies.</p>

<p>It can be serviced so that the focusing action is firm, but fluid.</p><div>00dp3J-561657584.jpg.dceabf7451aa94a841507cbda78c6b8f.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>...but also adjusted to free up the focus tension. I didn't know that focus tension is actually adjustable. So its not just a matter of dried out grease.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The only focus tension adjustment on this lens is for the backlash in the CRC helicoid key slot (small brass ring at lower left in the photo above) and if I recall correctly the main focusing helicoid key slot (not visible above). If the backlash is adjusted too "tight", the key(s) can bind in the slot(s). The backlash in the key slots can only wear and loosen with age, so if the focus is stiff I would say it's entirely due to the grease.</p>

<p>I had the same problem with a 55mm 3.5 AI lens, and two independent estimates for cleaning and relubricating the lens were in the vicinity of $120-160. The second estimate was from a local firm that usually has quite low prices for work, I questioned them about the cost, and they said that the complexity of the lens with its CRC made it a particularly labor-intensive CLA, which follows the above comments. So, I bought an AI'd earlier version of the lens for about half the cost of the needed CLA. These are among the best bargains in Nikon lenses, but the lubrication issue is a problem.</p>

<p>the 55 micro Nikkor is prone to grease migration, which makes focusing stiff and eventually causes the diaphragm to seize. It costs about $100 for a thorough CLA at a Nikon service facility (e.g., Authorized Camera Repair, Morton Grove, IL). Mine was done in about 2001, and is still working like new. Nikon uses a silicone grease that doesn't separate nor migrate.</p>

<p>You could buy another used lens for a little more than the cost of repairs, but a lens this old is likely to need service anyway.</p>

<p>The 55/2.8 Micro-Nikkor is a superb lens, as sharp as anything in my kit. The long throw of the focusing ring is perfect for closeups. The action of the AF version (60 or 105) is to quick for my taste. I use a 55/2.8 with a Nikon PK-13 extension tube and Nikon ES-1 slide holder to copy slides. The normal magnification is 1:2, but you get 1:1 with the PK-13.</p>

<p>Don't know if your cine rig is nikon fx or not, but another lens to consider (instead of buying another 55mm f2.8) would be the 105mm f4 micro.</p>

<p>The difference between this lens and newer 105mm macros is that it doesn't change focal length as you focus. That means that the working distance is much longer when focusing close. That's good for lighting. It's will probably look a lot better for cine work as it has much less focus breathing compared to newer lenses. I haven't tried that though.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the great replies! Michael: That's a lot of parts--thanks for posting that! Richard: Thanks for the local recommendation--both Culver City and Nikon Wilshire are local to me, so that's good info to have. Edward: Good point about another used 55 Micro having the same issue. At only $379 brand new, buying a new Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 Ais remains a reasonable option. Everyone else, thank you for your input as well. It's helpful to know that this is probably more likely to occur with this particular lens due to its large helicoid surface-area.</p>

<p>Pete: My Sony E-mount cine camera has a Super35-sized imager which is similar to DX/APS-C. I'll probably just end up using my AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D (90mm-equivalent) as a cine-macro lens, since its use will be fairly infrequent (but still very important to have for cine applications).</p>